Rear Axle Identification

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I know this isn't exactly A body, but I'd like to poll the knowledge base out there. I recently bought what I thought was a B body 8.75 rear end for my 67 Dart. However, after setting the axle under the old one in the car I noticed the spring perches were way further out. I measured them as 46" center to center, which I found out was E body width. I measured the overall width and got 56.5", again confirming that the axle seemed to be out of an E body. I also looked up the brake line T block that came with the axle and it also seemed to be an E body one. I rechecked all the numbers and found out the axle should still work fine and I already had new bearings installed, so I decided I would go for it. However, I needed new brake lines. I found a set of new E body brake lines on Ebay that said they fit all E body axles and ordered them. When I got them and went to put them in, they didn't line up. The driver side did not make it from the backing plate to the T block, it was maybe an inch short, and the passenger side did not follow the contour of the center section at all, it was probably 4 inches over the top of the center. I checked feedback on the seller and other people didn't seem to have problems, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Does anyone have any idea what this axle might be out of? Is there any other car with an 8.75 with measurements like an E body? I left the seller neutral feedback because the lines didn't fit and he is practically sending me hate mail telling me that it's not his fault I have the "wrong" axle. Is there any way to confirm that I really have an E body axle?

E-bodies are the only car rears with the dimensions you mentioned. I don't know anything about the seller or company that sold you the lines but almost all of us here have had mis-packaged parts one time or another.

Could it possibly be a truck rear? I don't have any truck rear specs. A truck rear would have the perch on top of the axle though so it would be quite noticable.

Chuck

O.K. let me throw this out there for you to check out. You'll love this. After checking in my archives i find the E body 8.75 rears are the same dimensions of the Dana 60 rears. Does your center section come out from the front or rear? The Danas come out from the rear. The 8.75's come out from the front. The dimensions are correct for an E body. Let us know.
Small Block

It's an 8.75, I know that since i have the removable center chunk from the front (banjo housing). The lines are supposed to be universal for the rear end, so it really wasn't supposed to matter what one it was, but the breather tube / brake t block is on the angled portion of the rear where the tube starts slanting up as opposed to being on a section that is level with the ground (hard to say what I mean, hopefully you get the idea). This seems to be the main issue, the lines appear to be the correct overall length in that they meet up the right distance apart for a T block, it's just that the T block is over an inch or so away from the breather hole. I don't think the company sells any other lines, but I'll double check and see if it could have been packaged wrong. I just want to make sure I'm not the one at fault when I say the lines don't fit right. I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but he's becoming more of a jackass with each email he sends demanding that I change my feedback from neutral since he doesn't think it's his fault.

Here is what I have for dimensions on my 69 8 3/4 in my cuda. Perches center to center approx 43", flanges are approx 50" these are rough measurements. My brass t-block is on the sloped side of the pumpkin(i know what you mean) Good luck, hope this helps
Steve

I don't know much about the E body rearends, but I know that in 1970 or 71 they moved the position of the Tee block on the A body 8 3/4 from the hump of the center section to the flatter part on the tube. Could be the same story with E bodies, but again I'm not sure. Maybe my brother blu340dart will chime in and give youa better answer. He is well versed in the E body cars!!! Geof

I wondered if maybe it was a later year deal with the T block position. I bought stuff to just make my own lines previously, but I don't have the tools to do a double flare, and i found these pre bent lines for probably the same price it was going to be to get the tools. I just double checked the listing and it says 70-73, so maybe it changed in 74 or something and I'm just "lucky". I don't think I've managed to buy a part yet that I could just bolt on to my car. It's a Frankenstein already since it's a 67 with 69 fenders and grille, but going to the part store is always fun since I get to tell them a different car for every part, lol.

i had some of the parts places let me use there flare kit in the store mark your line and take it in and flare them there maybe.

-
Back