Rear Axle Question - What would you do?

-

e50095

Reaction score
The base info is 67 Barracuda convertible, very mild 340 with 2.02 heads, a Perfomer and thermoquad. It'll mostly be used for rides to the beach (100 miles each way). I'm struggling with coming to a conclusion with the rear axle. Can you tell me what would be the best of the following 3 options:

1. I have an 8 1/4 sure grip out of a Duster that has a ratio in the high 2's. The good part is I need big bolt pattern, which it has, and the Cherokee rear disk setup is only $75 rom my local u-pullit junk yard.

2. I have an 8 3/4 A body rear 3.23 non-sure grip and complete 11" brakes off an old B-body. Its small bolt pattern, but that same junkyard has a 66 Charger 383 car with the rear still in it. The axles would be $60, complete rear is $130. I could get the axles and have then resplined, if in fact 66 axles aren't tapered. I'm not sure if the are or not. I suppose I could also buy the whole rear, and bulldog it in to my existing spring perches like some have done. It's also possible that car has a sure grip, but the rear wheels were in a little mud so I couldn't jack it up to see. The main issue is I need big bolt pattern.

3. Same junkyard...has an 88 Dodge 1 ton van with a Dana 60, suregrip and 3.5 ratio. It's also $130 complete. With this I would have to have the housing shortened and buy axles to fit my car. I already have new spring perches to use I picked up years ago. Not sure how much axles and a shortening job on the housing would be, so this is kind of an unknown. If I'm not mistaken, the 11 drum brake setup I have from a 66 or so B-body should work with the Dana.

There's the dilemma guys.....I'd appreciate some feedback on what your choice would be. Whatever I don't use I'll sell to cover any additional costs. The Dana of course is overkill, but they look so cool with a decent rear cover, and certainly send the message your car means business....that's why I added it as an option. My goodness those 1 ton 8 lug brake drums are huge....

Anyway, thanks so much for any input....

Ken in Pennsylvania

Well, I can tell you what I would do if you have the finances to do it.

New axles and a suregrip for the 8 3/4. You could just get new axles from say, Moser for instance, and pop em in.

The 8 1/4 would be more than enough for what you are describing for usage. The bad, at least to me, would be the highway gears as I like a little spirited driving from time to time. :D

The 8 3/4 with the 3.23's and a suregrip would be tolerable on the highway AND add a little fun factor when you want it.

I REALLY like to try and stay with 3rd member axles. I currently use a Ferd 9". This is for several reasons

One is that if the thing starts to give some trouble, you can work up a spare set of gears, and when you get time, pop in a spare 3rd member when you get time.

you can easily switch gear ratios without spending much time

This kind of thing is especially appealing to me as "an old guy"

Kind of in the same dilemma myself with my just arrived 65 Cuda w/ the 7 1/4". It's sporting a 400hp 318 and for cost considerations I'm gonna go with the 8 1/4" myself.

I have an 8 3/4 with 3.23 suregrip in my barracuda and actually like the gears. They go down the freeway ok but are not too high that it is a dog. I wold probably not go with option #3 though.... 1 ton axle, are the rear axles full floating? If so, that is way overkill and way too heavy for your application. I guess my vote is option #2.

The 8 1/4 is plenty strong. I have a friend who ran one in a Demon running deep 11s snatchin the front wheels off the ground. It didn't break. He upgraded the engine and then went with an 8 3/4. He still plans to use the 8 1/4 elsewhere. They will take the abuse.

I do have to agree with Del though. I do lean toward the third member or chunk type rear axles. They are very strong. I just recently swapped in an 8" rustang II rear end under my Mercury Bobcat since I am putting a 5.0 and 5 speed in it. It is in every way simply a small 9".

I would scratch the Dana, too much work for what you need! I would suggest buying the 66 8 3/4" for that price, and also the 8 1/4"! You'll have them at your disposal, and could sell one to fund the changes on the other! Just my thought, but I would stretch the springs and put in the 8 3/4", its the easiest swap...for now!! You can always play with the 8 1/4" and get it where you want it and do the swap when its ready, then sell the 8 3/4" and recoup your $$$!!

I found an 8-3/4 with 3:23 sure grip for $325 on craigslist out of a 69 dart.
They are still out there if you are patient.
Same with the 8-1/4's.

-
Back