Rear Axle question

-

64X2

Mohel at your service.
Reaction score
So I have given up on trying to sell the 8 3/4 van axle I have at the house. My question is can it, once it is cut down, be converted to a small bolt pattern, using small bolt pattern axles. Is the end of the axle set up to recieve either big or small bolt pattern axles ? Can I redrill the 11 inch drums.....

I know it is another one of my crazy ideas.....

You will have to change the backing plates and axles to A body stuff to do that, but you can do it. The easier thing to do by far would be to get some axles with the correct overhang for the backing plates you have.

I have not been able to find the parts to convert the front to big bolt pattern discs , so I was think of doing the scare bird conversion. Which would leave me with small bolt pattern in the front and I thought I have a big bolt pattern 8 3/4 out of a 67 A-100 and I can probably get a set of small bolt pattern axles reasonably, as most go to the big pattern..
Plus I have, at least three sets of 14 inch steel wheels in the small bolt pattern...
Gotta why do you wanna run the SBP?

Hmmm so if I found a set of say C- body axles or if the ones that are in the axle I have, could be cut down/ resplined, I could just redrill them, I guess...

You will have to change the backing plates and axles to A body stuff to do that, but you can do it. The easier thing to do by far would be to get some axles with the correct overhang for the backing plates you have.

Hmmm so if I found a set of say C- body axles or if the ones that are in the axle I have, could be cut down/ resplined, I could just redrill them, I guess...

Not sure on the C body stuff. But B body axles for sure. No need in having a hard time finding bbp brakes for the front, either. Includ all F, M and J bodies in your search. Much more to choose from and they will bolt right on. All you'll need are 73-76 A body disc upper control arms and lower ball joints. That's what I am doing to my 63.

Did you try listing that 8 3/4" on moparbvans.com?? Lots of van only Mopar peeps over there probably looking for one!! Just a thought, Geof

Unfourtunately I live in Chevy and Ford country, any Mopar that is in the junkyard is usually stripped out way before I can ever get to it...Then the older yards have been shutting down and everything is getting crushed... It is hard to find Mopar parts around me, what I do find is usually way over priced for what it is..so I am forced to use what I have and or what I can find and or modify.. I can't afford to pay for shipping on any big parts or the gas to travel out of state to get the parts. That is why I am always trying to make parts no one else wants work...I am crazy like that.. Poor man in expensive hobby...
Not sure on the C body stuff. But B body axles for sure. No need in having a hard time finding bbp brakes for the front, either. Includ all F, M and J bodies in your search. Much more to choose from and they will bolt right on. All you'll need are 73-76 A body disc upper control arms and lower ball joints. That's what I am doing to my 63.

on moparts there are some deals on a body disc brake spindles, brackets, etc.

everything else you can buy new

Unfourtunately I live in Chevy and Ford country, any Mopar that is in the junkyard is usually stripped out way before I can ever get to it...Then the older yards have been shutting down and everything is getting crushed... It is hard to find Mopar parts around me, what I do find is usually way over priced for what it is..so I am forced to use what I have and or what I can find and or modify.. I can't afford to pay for shipping on any big parts or the gas to travel out of state to get the parts. That is why I am always trying to make parts no one else wants work...I am crazy like that.. Poor man in expensive hobby...

hmmmm......I may be able to help you. Lemmie do some figgerin.

So I have given up on trying to sell the 8 3/4 van axle I have at the house. My question is can it, once it is cut down, be converted to a small bolt pattern, using small bolt pattern axles. Is the end of the axle set up to recieve either big or small bolt pattern axles ? Can I redrill the 11 inch drums.....

I know it is another one of my crazy ideas.....

Buy a Ford 9 out of a Maverick, and redrill the 4.5 flanges. Its almost a bolt in, about 1/2 inch off at the springs.

-
Back