Rear Axle Removal / Restoration

-

JP662704SP

Reaction score
Anyone here pulled the rear axles on an early A? My '67 was easy, unbolt the retaining plate, slide the axle out, take it to a machine shop to press off old bearing / press on new bearing, put it back together with new oil seal.

Looking at my shop manual for my '66, it looks like a much more complex set up, requiring special tools etc.

My axle oil seals are leaking and I would like to restore. I think the bearings are fine. Quiet, and don't get hot. But if taking apart, think I should replace.

Thought?

Thanks.

Anybody been down this road and care to offer some advice?

Which axle? 7 1/4" or 8 3/4"? If it's a 7 1/4", it will be just like your last one. If it's an 8 3/4" you need to reset the axle end play, thus the special tools etc.

I'm pretty sure it is the 7 1/4, almost positive. 273 car. 293 stamped on rear, which I assume is the gear ratio.
I bought the 1966 shop manual on CD off eBay, 700+ pages on knowledge. Well, it is looking at the rear axle replacement that I find all this stuff about special tools for removing the axle. Looks like a slide hammer that attaches to the axle. Then once out, other special tools for doing the bearing.

I might just take out the retaining bolts and see what happens.,...if the axle slides out.

Since you're going to have to remove the bearing to change the seal you always want to replace the bearing and race. Unless you look at the rollers with a microscope you could miss seeing the start of bearing going south and during the removal of the old bearing at the very least the roller cage can easily be damaged.

Agree completely demon seed. My question is more to the need for the axle puller and other "special" parts as noted in the service manual. When I replaced my '67's rear axle bearings, it was not required. I'm new to the early As, so actually reading the book before I tear in to things.

I just did one rear axle seal on our now gone 66, simple, jack up car, remove tire & drum, un-bolt 4 retainer nuts and remove axle. Seal is inside housing, bearing & collar come off with axle.

ya its stright forward,I do think you have to remove the rear cover to get at the c clips that hold the axels in,as for the puller you dont need that just bolt your drum on with one nut and pull them out with it .

A '66 7 1/4 is exactly the same procedure as all the other years. There are NO c-clips on this rear end! Sometimes you need a slide hammer axle puller to break it loose from the housing. Unless the bearing feels PERFECT, replace it. It's usually the reason for the seal failure.
If you have an 8 3/4, the seal in the housing comes out the same but the bearing is a little more involved. You'll need to grind on the lock ring and inner bearing race. After you break the cage and remove the outer race and all the rollers, crack them with a cold chisel. Be VERY carefull you don't damage the axle shaft doing this or you'll weaken it and/or cause a permanent leak. Keep in mind that there is also a seal in the bearing retainer that you should change at the same time. Make sure you get the retainer on the axle (in the correct direction!) before the newly greased bearing is installed or you'll have to do the grinding thing and new bearing all over again.

-
Back