rear axle seals needed

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
i have a 8 1/4'' rear end and am in need of axle seals. i found out that the rear has a "bearing repair kit"? thing in it. and autozone and Napa dont have the seals for it. the measurements are - 2 1/4' wide, 1/4'' thick, and the axle shaft hole is a 1 3/4'' wide hole. i have pictures of the seal. please help me found seals.

316848_291514330861397_100000084975404_1245904_1182253507_n.jpg

314835_291514350861395_100000084975404_1245905_1340687129_n.jpg

310736_291514280861402_100000084975404_1245903_1155392065_n.jpg

If you have the seal number, I'd start looking online. I find it hard to believe that they aren't easily available.

autozone has it, you were either dealing with an employee that didnt look it up correct or its not in computer for that year/make of dodge. exactly which axle seal are you refering to?

cudamark - there is no part number, that was the first thing i checked.

Mopar2 - the rear is out of a 74 duster and thats what i looked it up for and is the seal that goes on the end of the rear end shaft and the axle goes through the hole in the seal, and i even looked online at autozone and couldnt found a seal. the one guy at autozone said that i have a bearing repair kit thing in my rear end and he bought the kit out and it had the seal in it but i just wanna buy the seal, not the whole kit.

Are you talking about an offset bearing that runs on a different part of the axle shaft or a sleeve repair kit for the axle shaft that goes over the bearing area where it's pitted? The offset bearing should use the same seal as the stock bearing. If it's a sleeve kit, it probably uses a seal with a bigger inside diameter than stock to accomodate the sleeve thickness. If it's an oddball seal that the sleeve company had made special, you may be out of luck unless you know the company and they're willing to sell the seals separately.

Are you talking about an offset bearing that runs on a different part of the axle shaft or a sleeve repair kit for the axle shaft that goes over the bearing area where it's pitted? The offset bearing should use the same seal as the stock bearing. If it's a sleeve kit, it probably uses a seal with a bigger inside diameter than stock to accomodate the sleeve thickness. If it's an oddball seal that the sleeve company had made special, you may be out of luck unless you know the company and they're willing to sell the seals separately.

i thing its a sleeve kit. the seal is the seal that goes in the end of the rear end that the axle goes thought then. but the stock seals are to big because i guess the housing got damaged and they put a bearing repair kit in the place where the seal is supposed to go and the seal im looking goes on the end of the repair thing.

See if a company called "Motion Industries" has an outlet close to you. They have always had every ball and roller bearing that I needed, as well as seals. You may not be able to deal with them directly, but they can steer you to someone who can.

Bill S.

See if a company called "Motion Industries" has an outlet close to you. They have always had every ball and roller bearing that I needed, as well as seals. You may not be able to deal with them directly, but they can steer you to someone who can.

Bill S.

i found one about an hour away from me, ill check them out, thanks

Go back to a parts store where someone will get a book out. You can go right in a national seals book and start with the shaft dimensions and go from there. I will look today when I get to work and find you a national part number that will work.

-
Back