Rear Axle Shafts Won't Seat After Bearing Replacement

-

74cuda

Reaction score
I have a 70 dart with a 7 1/4 rear end and the bearings were replaced on both axles. Neither side will seat correctly. I can spin the axles so I know the splines are engaging but they don't seem to go in all the way. I tried to seat the axles by using light taps with a rubber hammer. The checked, but will check again, the bearing outer diameter and it is 2.677 and the measured the axle diameter at 2.677. The bearing I used were purchased at Napa Part #: BRG RWF34R. Do I need to really smack the axle to get the bearings to seat? Removing the axle I only had to use a puller on the left side, the right side came out easily.

20231122_144745.jpg

20231122_144851.jpg

20231122_144856.jpg

20231122_144943.jpg

20231122_144946.jpg

20231122_151954.jpg

20231122_152003.jpg

20231122_152004.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a photo of the bearing not in the housing,?

Also the backing plates go on before the axles get installed but that would not account for 1/2 to 3/4"

IMHO
There is no way that he has the axles splines line up with the splines in the gears correctly. If so, the axles should be touching the pin! Something is wrong!

There is no way that he has the axles splines line up from the pictures the axles should be touching the pin! Something is wrong
To me the splines are ok. The seal looks like it is not deep enough in the housing and the bearing retainer is hitting it.

A quick test is to clean the face of the seal and the bearing retainer face that faces the seal.

"Barrow" some of your wife's red lipstick and put some on the bearing retainer.

Insert the axle as far as it will go, spin the axle, remove the axle and look for a transfer of lipstick from the retainer to the seal.

After Looking at the pictures again I agree the seals do not appear to be in far enough good eyes Dana67Dart!

IMHO
There is no way that he has the axles splines line up with the splines in the gears correctly. If so, the axles should be touching the pin! Something is wrong!
It appears that the bearing is not going all the way into the housing. I've tried inserting a few times and it always end up short of the pin. I did try a rubber hammer on the to push the bearing in but light touch isn't doing it .

1700696692176.png

How does the depth of the seal compare to the above?

You did remove the old seal(?).

I'm 100% sure the seal is the issue.

It needs to go in farther.

The bearing retainer should NOT touch the seal.

My bet is this is from the bearing retainer touching in the seal. ( Inside the red area)

Screenshot_20231122-173800.png

To me the splines are ok. The seal looks like it is not deep enough in the housing and the bearing retainer is hitting it.

A quick test is to clean the face of the seal and the bearing retainer face that faces the seal.

"Barrow" some of your wife's red lipstick and put some on the bearing retainer.

Insert the axle as far as it will go, spin the axle, remove the axle and look for a transfer of lipstick from the retainer to the seal.
Will do....I'll try that hopefully tonight...otherwise I gotta wait until Friday.

Everyone.. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!!!

From the last set of pictures, it looks like the seal will go in another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

Thanks.... All those who said is was the seal depth are right and all the other who chimed in. I pounded on one side and the seal went deeper. still not there but almost. One more question... should the bearing be even with the flange?

Here is a shot inside the diff with the splines showing.

20231122_193432.jpg

Last edited:
Just tap the seal in until it stops and everything else will be in the right place.

-
Back