Rear Axle, Which Method for Bolt Pattern Conversion...

-

PanzerschreckLeopard

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 71 Valiant with 7.25 rear, SBP. I've recently put disc brakes, in BBP, on the front, which resulted in needed to carry two spares. It's the 73-76 style brakes, so I could not use 14" SBP wheels, and wanted to keep look of the 14" hubcaps...anyway.

So my question is, should I go hunting for a BBP 8.25, or would it be acceptable to have the existing 7.25 modified? It's a /6 daily car, so it's not making big power.

If I do have to use the 8.25, how difficult would it be to find it in 2.76? That's what the 7.25 has, assuming it's not been swapped, which I don't find likely with a 7.25.

You could find a 7 1/4 from a 74 and up V8 car with the BBP and just swap out the rear. I have one that I'd part with, but you're too far away, lol.

You could find a 7 1/4 from a 74 and up V8 car with the BBP and just swap out the rear. I have one that I'd part with, but you're too far away, lol.
So as long as I don't plan on dropping a V-8 in there, a 7.25 will hold up? (Considering it cannot spin the wheels on dry pavement unless I'm turning from a stopped intersection going uphill...)

Edit: Plus, one of the bearings back there has been making noise as long as I've had it, although it does not seem to have gotten any worse.

What Bad Sport said. Find a BBP 7.25 and just swap the rear axle. BBP 7.25's are usually pretty cheap, just gotta find someone that's upgrading their rear axle. They started in '73 though, any 73+ disk A-body would have one. Pretty good odds they'd have a 2.76 rear gear too.

As for the strength, in a /6 street car it should be fine. You could upgrade it to a Sure-Grip if you were concerned about it, that strengthens them some because of the way they usually fail.

To be honest I would prefer having a 318 over the 225 /6 (But can't be choosy, seeing a 4-door 70-72 Valiant perioud is tough, let alone a $2,500 in good daily drive condition...) but I've no idea how much that would cost or the work involved, especially a carburetted version

-
Back