Rear Axle yoke swap?

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
I've got an 8 3/4" rear axle with 489 case. I'm getting ready to buy a driveshaft. My trans slip yoke has 1350 u-joints but the rear axle has 7260 u-joints. The driveshaft shop suggested swapping out the yoke on the 3rd member so that I have all 1350 u-joints.

I was under the assumption that changing this would require a new crush sleeve or a rebuild.

What's required to change the yoke on the 3rd member?

Riddler

i thought the yoke was just bolted on
(though i am not sure)

i AM sure however, they make conversion joints, where two pegs fit thw 7260, and two fit the 1350

i thought the yoke was just bolted on
(though i am not sure)

i AM sure however, they make conversion joints, where two pegs fit thw 7260, and two fit the 1350

Yes I know about the conversion joints but they would be a very weak joint as stated by the driveshaft shop. For the extra $70-150 for the 1350 yolk... It just seems like a smart investment.

Riddler

i dont see how a conversion joint would be weaker then a 7260 joint
and if the 7260s arent up to the power, why did Ma Mopar install them on some of the 8 3/4 rear ends?

but, i see your point
swapping jokes would make things much simpler and replacing joints down the line would be easier

I'm running Neapco's 7260/7290 conversion joint and have had no issues. I know lots of people who drag their cars with these that have 500+ hp/tq motors and they have no issues either...

Sounds to me like your driveshaft shop is blowing smoke...

Easy to find too.

OK then I'll try the conversion joint 7260/1350. Worse case if I break it I can always update the yoke...

Thanks guys,

Riddler

-
Back