Rear brake adjust help please.

-

17remfan

Reaction score
Ill spell it out quickly and thanks in advance for any help. Went to adjust my front drum brakes on the 69 Dart today. They were both in need of a few turns "to tighten" and responded fine. From under the car looking at the star wheel , I used to brake spoon to rotate the star wheel from the top downward.

Now for the REAR brakes . I need to tighten the pads as they are not hitting the drums( 1 only slightly). I went in the same direction as the fronts ,rotating the star wheel downward and got NO adjustment responce from either side.

I am able to rotate the star wheel ok. Do I need to move something to the side first?? and am I going in the correct direction in the first place for the rears??

I think ill pull the drums off and take a look to see whats going on . I need to check condition of the pads anyway. OH , had the car jacked up and checked the rear end ratio . looks like 3.55 and a suregrip. Very pleased on both counts.:cheers:

The star adjuster should only turn in one direction as the self adjusting bar will prevent it from turning the opposite way. If you can turn it both ways with the brake spoon, something is amiss in there and should be checked out.

George

The star adjuster should only turn in one direction as the self adjusting bar will prevent it from turning the opposite way. If you can turn it both ways with the brake spoon, something is amiss in there and should be checked out.

George

Good call George!

I always have had bad luck with a brake spoon but I don't have much patience either. I always like to adjust mine while removing the drums off and on to get that perfect shoe to drum fit. You more than likely know the basics but make sure you have the adjusters on the correct side... they are labeled left and right. Something sounds fishy though so I would check them out good.

Interesting info. Thank you both.I can go either way with the star for sure. though the passenger side was hard to move in one direction.I assume turning the star wheel downward is the correct dirrection to add tension.This car is new to me and I havent seen the pads inside the drums yet.Ill check it out for sure now.

Today I tried to remove the rear drum to investigate the adjustment wheel. Took a hammer and pounded all around the drum to free it from the studs. It wouldnt budge and its not like the drum was very rusty either. The brake pads certainly are not holding it in place.

Today I tried to remove the rear drum to investigate the adjustment wheel. Took a hammer and pounded all around the drum to free it from the studs. It wouldnt budge and its not like the drum was very rusty either. The brake pads certainly are not holding it in place.

Yeah it sounds like its time for a good inspection.... sounds like the drums been on there for awhile. Call them brake shoes not brake pads.:-D Brake pads are what goes on a disc brake system rather than a drum type system. The adjuster has a cap on it which the cap goes against one of the shoes. Take that cap off and look at the adjuster.... it should have a "R" or "L" stamped on the end. Then make sure it is on the correct side. The adjuster should turn freely ... I always make sure they are a very clean and rub a little grease on the threads. Just a little bit!

Brake shoe systems adjust themselves when the vehicle is put into reverse and then when the brakes are applied. That little hook then rolls the adjuster one notch down to push the shoes out further.

Let us know what you find after the inspection.

No sir,brake shoes are worn on the feet:toothy7:Ill be sure to post back once I find out the condition of the internals. Thanks for the tip on adjustment using reverse and stopping.Ill try that out in the meantime .

No sir,brake shoes are worn on the feet:toothy7:Ill be sure to post back once I find out the condidtion of the internals. Thanks for the tip on adjustment using reverse and stopping.Ill try that out in the meantime .

Glad you found the problem.

The story of the little old lady with the circular drive way comes to mind (again). She never back up and was always parking her car where she could just pull forward to leave. The mechanic told her "You have to back up ever so often to have a good brake pedal." She had good shoes but they just weren't adjusted correctly. :-D

Here is an update for anyone following . My mechanic found that both rear adjusters were off the track or off their correct locations .One drum needs to be replaced and a front hose has a leak so .. the needed parts are going in along with fresh shoes. Should be up and running soon .

Ah Ha , I betcha the cable guides were heart of the problem. That guide has a tiny neck stamped in it that goes in the spring hole on the shoe. If that litle neck doesn't hold the cable guide up and centered the cable will look too long. It holding the adjust paw way too low beneath the adjusters star wheel. Happy moparing :)

Here is an update for anyone following . My mechanic found that both rear adjusters were off the track or off their correct locations .One drum needs to be replaced and a front hose has a leak so .. the needed parts are going in along with fresh shoes. Should be up and running soon .

Your front brakes was doing all the work... lol

Glad you found the problem.

Cost me plenty but im back on the road with all new brake components. The pedal has a good firm feel now.

Sounds like you found a good mechanic also, they are getting scarce!
C

Cost me plenty but im back on the road with all new brake components. The pedal has a good firm feel now.

Heck if you lived closer I would have done all the work for free! You'd have to pay for the parts though.

I used to work at a tire shop back in the 90s... I did all different types of brake systems and repair. The worst car I ever did brakes on was one of the performance type Saab... it took forever to get parts for that sucker! I learned my lesson on that one... make sure you can get the brakes and or other brake parts easily before tying up the lift. Boss wasn't to happy about that one!:-D

Heck if you lived closer I would have done all the work for free! You'd have to pay for the parts though.

I used to work at a tire shop back in the 90s... I did all different types of brake systems and repair. The worst car I ever did brakes on was one of the performance type Saab... it took forever to get parts for that sucker! I learned my lesson on that one... make sure you can get the brakes and or other brake parts easily before tying up the lift. Boss wasn't to happy about that one!:-D

I'm with you Mullinax, I'd have done those for free, and probably could've scrounged up the extra parts around here somewhere. Mopar brakes are really easy to work on and I personally try to go in and check the drums and shoes often just to keep the ridge down and all of the brake stuff clean and lubed. So get cozy with those brakes, do them one side at a time, and you'll always have peace of mind that you know they are in good condition. Good luck!! Geof

So 17remfan do you have any idea where your brake guy got the 10" X 1 3/4" SBP drums for your car? I need a set to finish my car correctly.

I have to 3rd the suggestion of mullinax to get your parts first then start your project my car was up on jack stands for 2 weeks until I could get a (used) rear drum. I have all the parts to do the other side except the drum. it is OK for now but I want to finish the job correctly.

-
Back