Rear brake adjustment & parking brake ?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Stupid question time. I completely backed off my parking brake cable to no tension at all, and installed new rear brakes and adjusters also.
So should I adjust up the rear brakes using the star wheels first, to get everything close. Then adjust the parking brake ?
Or parking brake first? then adjust the shoes with the star wheels ?
I can't believe I'm even asking this...but it's been a long time, suck to get old.

Adjust with self adjusters/star wheels first, get as close as you can, after you get those adjusted, adjust the parking brake cable. Rear brake adjustment has a direct correlation to the front brakes. Too much slack in the rear will leave you with a low brake pedal and bad braking action.

That how I thought things were to be done. But it never hurts to ask when unsure. Don't get old and forgetful .

They make a tool to measure drum brake adjustment, a lot of guys can including myself can do it by feel, basically you want it to have enough resistance to hear the shoes on the drum when you turn it but not too much resistance to where the drums are not easily removed by hand. Usually with the drum on you adjust the shoes all they way out until the drums will no longer turn by hand, then back them off in slow increments until the drum moves freely.

They make a tool to measure drum brake adjustment, a lot of guys can including myself can do it by feel, basically you want it to have enough resistance to hear the shoes on the drum when you turn it but not too much resistance to where the drums are not easily removed by hand. Usually ith the drum on you adjust them all they way out until they will no longer turn by hand, then back them off until the drum moves freely.
Good advice X2:cheers:

-
Back