[WANTED] Rear Brake Backing Plates for 8 3/4 Diff

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few. I have 11x2" and 11x2.5" backing plates available. 165 shipped on a pair.

I may have found a set already. The guy is gonna check to see if they are for sure the correct size, then he's gonna get back to me. Thanks for your reply! If the other guy doesn't have the right plates, I'll get back to you!

Hey 71 Slantsix. I apologize for the delay, I've been crazy busy at work. Gonna run outside and check them now.

Not sure if these are the ones you are looking for. The backing plate measures 11" but the drum measures 10" ID.

PXL_20240112_005145940.jpg

PXL_20240112_005212211.MP.jpg

PXL_20240112_005327614.MP.jpg

No problem on the delay! I understand! Shoot me a price on what you're showing in those pics & also let me know approx. shipping cost. Then, I'll get back to you! Thanks in advance!

I may have found a set already. The guy is gonna check to see if they are for sure the correct size, then he's gonna get back to me. Thanks for your reply! If the other guy doesn't have the right plates, I'll get back to you!

I have a few. I have 11x2" and 11x2.5" backing plates available. 165 shipped on a pair.
Hey there! Would it be possible for you to post some pics of 11x2 backing plates? Also, is the price just for the bare plates, with no hardware included? Thanks in advance for your help!

No problem on the delay! I understand! Shoot me a price on what you're showing in those pics & also let me know approx. shipping cost. Then, I'll get back to you! Thanks in advance!
Ok, will do, what do you want me to include in the sale? obviously I won't ship the parts you will replace anyway, like the shoes, but I can include both backing plates and the parts you don't normally replace and one drum, I accidentally threw one drum away, kicking my self still for that one.

PM me an address and I can get a shipping quote.

Hey there! Would it be possible for you to post some pics of 11x2 backing plates? Also, is the price just for the bare plates, with no hardware included? Thanks in advance for your help!
I will get a pic this weekend. $165 is plates shipped. I can leave hardware attached or ship bare.

I will get a pic this weekend. $165 is plates shipped. I can leave hardware attached or ship bare.
Pics would be great! The other forum member I'm communicating with has 10" plates, but I'd rather get the 11" set. I look forward to seeing the pics. We may be able to do some biz! Thank you!

Ok, will do, what do you want me to include in the sale? obviously I won't ship the parts you will replace anyway, like the shoes, but I can include both backing plates and the parts you don't normally replace and one drum, I accidentally threw one drum away, kicking my self still for that one.

Hey, superbee6! I have found some 11" plates that are being offered by another forum member. 11's are what I'm after. I'm getting more info from him this weekend. Good chance I'll go with what he has! I appreciate your efforts! If the deal for the 11's goes bust, you MAY hear back from me! Again, thank you for contacting me!

Here's the pics. I could have sworn they were 2". Per shoes and drums they are 11x2.5"

Screenshot_20240113_175220_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240113_175317_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240113_175336_Gallery.jpg

Very sorry for the delayed reply! If you still have those parts, I'll take 'em! Let me know how you want payment. Leave the hardware on the plates, please! Once again, apologies for the delay!

No problem, BTW, these came off of a small bolt pattern A-body 8.75. I had them sold to someone else a few days ago and turned out that they were looking for B-body size drums. Might need to confirm that these are in fact the ones you need. I can take better measurements.

OK, thanks for the quick reply! I should take a lesson from you! LOL! What I have is an A body 8.75 housing. Those plates should bolt right on! What I will do is measure the center-to-center length of the holes in the flange where the plates bolt on. I'll get that measurement to you later this PM, then you can get a measurement on yours. I expect them to be the same. I'll get back to you!

You are correct, they should just bolt right onto your housing. Where I got confused was the width of the shoes that will fit. There's that pivot point with a "head" on it. You can't put the 2.5" shoes on it because it's only tall enough to fit 2" shoes. I'll have to get more measurements when I get home.

Actually, I think you are replying to Big.J.007, he's got the larger brakes. Mine are 10"x2".

Looking for set of 11" backing plates for 8 3/4 diff that's going into a '73 Dart Swinger.
If you're going with the large (4½") bolt pattern, just get a complete drum setup off virtually any 5 x 4½" RWD/4WD up until at least the late 1990s. There are some minor internal differences, but they'll bolt on and work just fine. I've yet to see a later backing plate that didn't have the fifth mounting hole in it, even though it wasn't used. Make sure anything/everything you replace (hardware, springs, shoes) is from the same year/make/model, although you may want to play with wheel-cylinder bore sizing to better dial in your front/rear proportioning. Again, those are fairly universal from the '60s until the late '90s.

I built a large-pattern A-body 8¾" axle for a friend 20+ years ago and used 11" brakes off a early-'90s Dodge truck. It's still in his Demon and he's never had a problem. I also had a '67 Coronet 8¾" under an '81 M-body with complete factory 1989 Fifth Avenue drum brakes on it.

Hey, thanks for that info! Much appreciated!
The big question is….what axles do you have? If they are the original small bolt pattern axles, the ONLY brake setup that will fit are the 10”x 1 3/4” set that Superbee6 has. To be able to use ANY OTHER brake setup will require aftermarket axles with the large bolt pattern. The A body small bolt axles have a unique offset that only works with the 1 3/4” shoes, and the backing plates for the small bolt brakes are the ONLY backing plates that work with the small bolt axles. Some people will also say that the 7 1/4” small bolt backing plates will work, but they only have 4 holes for the mounting studs, although the 5th hole can be drilled. If you know this already, disregard my post!

Very sorry for the delayed reply! If you still have those parts, I'll take 'em! Let me know how you want payment. Leave the hardware on the plates, please! Once again, apologies for the delay!
I pulled the backing plates per our conversation. They are ready to go. Pm me and we'll exchange payment info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back