Rear Brake question

-

TNCUDA

Reaction score
1965 plymouth barracuda Formula S

I have removed all four brake sets. I want to replace shoes, wheel cylinders, and spring kits.

Front Drums measure 10" X 2 1/4 " Rear Drums measure 10" X 1 3/4 "

Here's my question: I have been looking on all my parts sites, and I don't see a rear drum that has those measurements. Am I correct that the rear brakes are 10 inch?

Perry

In this country, a 1965 A body had 9" brakes. Maybe the cuda is different...

My understanding is that the 65 Formula S could be had with the 10 drum brakes, and they would have been 10" x2 1/4" and 10" x 1 3/4". If you look at Rock Auto under 1965 Barracuda with the 273 they do list the shoes in 10" x2 1/4" and 10" x 1 3/4", but they do not list the drum hardware kit for 10" brakes. I do not know what the actual difference between the brake hardware for the early (pre 1969) and the late (after 1969) cars is, but my understanding is that you can use the late brake hardware kit and that it will work. Here is a thread on it from a couple of years ago:
1968 A body 10" x 1-3/4" brake hardware?

I have removed all four brake sets. I want to replace shoes, wheel cylinders, and spring kits.

Here's my question: I have been looking on all my parts sites, and I don't see a rear drum that has those measurements. Am I correct that the rear brakes are 10 inch?

Perry
RockAuto shows the rear drums in stock.

if you use late brake hardware kit. it involves a swap from the cone spring and square anchor plate shoe retaining springs to the more modern spring cup and pin set up (buy the installer tool, couple of dollars, makes life easy)

thats fine, it all works apart from the pins have heads that are too small for the holes in the back plate that used to take the square based square hook anchor for the cone shaped early spring

No bother

take pin with youto hardware store and buy a bag of washers and you are on your way.

suggest also that if you can you buy the spring kit for the auto adjust delete (race focused cars) and just remove the auto adjuster

just more crap to go wrong

then again its an old car.. someone may have done all of this already

Last edited:
The 9inch brakes are quite a nice thing.... less breaking at the rear provides a better bias for disks on the front
although the aussie cars do all benefit still from a brake bias, to allow the front line pressure to be high enough to get the calipers to actually work properly, without the rears locking first.
9 inch brakes at the back with the small bore wheel cylinders works well.

aussie car had a lighter rear end in most cases 7.8 inch BW rather than 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 mopar, potentally why 9 inch drums stayed after 1971

Perry
Yes, first year for the 10". I've run across auto supply store listing problems before with early A-bodies. In your case, try using '66 as a model year instead of '65. Sometimes using Valiant or Dart instead of Barracuda helps too. They all use the same brake parts, so, that may help in the catalog listings.

Guys Thanks so much for the input! Got all the parts ordered had to use several years for the lookup process.. Had the same issue with the mags......got it all done...parts on the way

Perry
You are correct. I need the same thing and know idea if they are available

-
Back