Rear Brakes Questions/Options

-

BullsIgt

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been covered but I couldn't find any definitive answers from my searches. I have a '64 Dodge Dart GT. The front brakes have been converted to what I was told was a 73+ BBP conversion. I am in the process of refreshing the rear drums. I believe they are 10" judging from measuring the inside diameter and the stamping on the outside that says 10.09" max diameter. I assume the rear was also converted to BBP at some point as the bolt pattern is the same in the rear(I swapped the rims front to back to check fitment) but I could be incorrect. Did '64s come with 10" rear drum brakes? Furthermore, every picture I have seen of these drum brakes the adjuster cable has been routed towards the front of the vehicle, mine are routed towards the rear. Evidence of a conversion? If it was a conversion did they put the drums/shoes on the wrong side?

Finding parts for these drums have been quite challenging. I found shoes for them online but they were not wide enough and every hardware kit I have purchased has been incorrect/incomplete for the most part as well. I have been considering swapping to rear disc so future maintenance would be a breeze. However, every kit I have found is for a 8.75 or Dana 60 rear end. I believe that mine is a 7.25 because it has a 9 bolt cover. Are there any rear disc options for me short of swapping the entire rear end? If there is I assume the MC and/or brake lines will have to be changed as well?

If there are no disc options for me short of changing the rear end I did find completely new drums from Dr Diff but they are out of stock. Does anyone know anywhere else I can find these kits?

Any help or input is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the rear was likely converted to a later large bolt. Whats the width of the drum inner brake surface? Probably 2" or 2-1/2".
Post a pic of the brakes.

I have a 7 1/4 rear end out of 65 barracuda all there hub to hub worked well , ask mopardad70 if you need backup info 100.00 you pick up 150.00 + ride if I have to try to find a shipper and band to create takes it do not know gears was a 6 cyl car with 3 on the tree I am near Madison wisc 53590 offer good to any 1 Bulls gets first shot

The shoes are 2 1/2" wide. I'm thinking it was probably converted. My guess is from the same car the front disc conversion was taken from. Probably why most of the hardware is wrong.

I have a 7 1/4 rear end out of 65 barracuda all there hub to hub worked well , ask mopardad70 if you need backup info 100.00 you pick up 150.00 + ride if I have to try to find a shipper and band to create takes it do not know gears was a 6 cyl car with 3 on the tree I am near Madison wisc 53590 offer good to any 1 Bulls gets first shot
I appreciate the offer and it would be nice to have a backup in case something happens but you're pretty far from me. But I think if something happened it would be easier to source something locally or convert to 8 3/4".

Anyone on the rear disc options for a 7.25? It would be great if an rear end swap wasn't my only option

If you are interested, I have a set of emergency brake levers ( parking brake levers ) struts and anti rattle springs for the 10 by 2.5 inch rear drums.

ian.

Save yourself a headache (now and in the future). Go find an 8.25 rear (with 2.71 or better) then go to junkyard find a 96 and older JGC take the limited slip unit and gear (most how 3.55 gears) and the rear disc setup. Finally bolt it all onto the a body axle and have fun. It's all a bolt on deal with the 8.25 rear plus the 7.25 is junk anyway.

Save yourself a headache (now and in the future). Go find an 8.25 rear (with 2.71 or better) then go to junkyard find a 96 and older JGC take the limited slip unit and gear (most how 3.55 gears) and the rear disc setup. Finally bolt it all onto the a body axle and have fun. It's all a bolt on deal with the 8.25 rear plus the 7.25 is junk anyway.

A 8.25 from any car will direct bolt in or should I look for a certain model/year vehicle?

-
Back