rear brakes

-

mopowers

Reaction score
If I have my 8 3/4 housing cut to standard A-body length, and order stock length 28" axles. Will I be able to use the brakes that came with the rearend (74 Pickup). Or will I have to get new backing plates and drums?

Is there a way around this, using what I have?

If everything is modified from a larger size to a stock smaller size, then everything should fit. You can use all brake hardware that came on the rear end. MoPar made all brake hardware the same for the particular size rear through the years. Small changes have happened to other rears, but mostly at the ring gear for anti lock breaks. If theres hardware changes. I'm unaware of them. It is a preety simple system.

The worst thing that happens is you order parts for a pick up.
This "Kind off" happened to me. The rear I swapped in to my Magnum is a 9-1/4. Froma '78 donor Doba. They didn't have a 9-1/4 in '79, only a 8-1/4. (So sez Auto Zone) So I order parts for a '78 Doba with a 9-1/4 , 11 inch drum rear, not a 8-1/4 , 10 inch drum rear.

So, what you're saying is the distance between the axle flange and the housing flange is the same on the pickup and the stock A-body 8 3/4??

This will allow me to use the pickup drums and backing plates, correct?

Where did you get the axles from? Did you specify that they were going into an A body housing, with the A body brakes?
A body and pick-ups use 2 different brake offsets, the difference is @ 3/8" per side, so you need to know which offset you have built into the axles.
Moser and Strange will sell an axle with the A body offset.

My best guess is that you'll have the pick-up style, which the same as 8-3/4 B, C or E bodies.
The 10" backing plates are shallower, if you use the full size (2-1/2") wide shoes on those backing plates, the shoe will run into the face of the drum, binding the drum to the shoes.

If you started with the '74 truck axles and have the brakes, use them.
Otherwise, just about any any 4-1/2" bolt circle brake set-up will bolt on with no adverse affects.

Mark.

I got the complete drum to drum rear out of a truck. I am going to have the housing narrowed and buy aftermarket axles. I just want to be able to use the brakes that I got with the rearend. Can I order custom axles with the proper ofset built into them so I can use the pickup brakes?

Mrmopartech said:

Thanks for the cool table, but that doesn't answer my question. Can I order custom axles that have the proper ofset so that I can use my brakes from the pickup???

The Rearend is going to be a custom length. I just need axles and want to be able to use the brakes I already have from the truck.

Most places that offer the aftermarket axles use a standardized system, depending on the make of vehicle (IE: Mopar, Ford, Chevy).

If it eases your mind, tell them what brakes you want to use and that you want the standard Mopar axle offset, though I'm sure you'd get it done without asking.
I know Strange and Moser both offer the CHOICE of A body or standard offset, but you can order a custom axle with either.

It's not rocket science, just tell them what you want and have plastic to buy it.:)

Mark.

I get what your are saying. I'm just used to dealing with large parts warehouses, where they don't know jack about the actual parts they sell. I'm sure with someone as specialized as moser, they'll know exactly what I'm talkin about. Thanks for the piece of mind.

-
Back