Rear Bumper loose?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
on my 66 dart, the rear bumper is in real nice shape. Except it is sorta loose, meaning I can wiggle it up and down? Is that right? I tightened all the nuts, but still wobbles. You can see on the outer edge there is a hole for a carriage screw, but there is no screw in it. Nor do I have any access from inside to that hole, so no idea what is would do? Or maybe this is not the correct bumper? Thoughts?
rear - 1.jpg

Perhaps it has the wrong bumper bolts and they are thread bound, or the square shank is too long preventing proper clamp up on the bumper?

If that's a stamped square hole there should be a stabilizer bracket behind it. Repeats on other end/side.
A 67,8,9 B'cuda has 4 stabilizers total. These bumpers aren't significatly wider than there main mounting brackets so they don't wobble badly without the end stabilizers. The turned ends will move pretty good though.
A 6 inch wide bumper on 2 inch wide brackets? I can imagine it wobbles pretty good all over without end stabilizers.

Is it loose on the brackets or on the body? I'm not familiar with pre 67 stuff but my car has 2 bolts on each corner bracket that has the nut inside the trunk below the tail lights.

Thanks for the good ideas. The pass side is the same, with the stamped square hole. From under the car absolutely no access to the corner. The other nuts are all good and tight.

However I did look from the trunk, and beholden, the pass side has a round hole. However it is about 3 inches higher than the square hole on the bumper. But if I take a long screwdriver, I can angle it into the hole from the outer square hole. So is something , like a bracket, supposed to be connected to the hole in the trunk? Now on the driver side in the trunk, some damage I guess as there is no hole and it looks like someone did a shabby job of fixing the metal. Although at this point the trunk floor is pretty badly rusted out. Sewe the pics for the bumper. How do I use that hole to help shore up the sides on the bumper?
rear bumper - 1.jpg
rear bumper - 2.jpg
rear bumper - 3.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back