rear clutch piston lip seal

-

TheCraigMachine

Reaction score
I messed up the inner lip seal while installing the rear clutch pack piston on my 904. I havent been able to find just the lip seals anywhere and I dont want to buy a whole "paper and rubber" kit just for one friggin seal. Id hate to have to put it back together with the old seal, even though it wasn't in bad shape. Now thinking that I shoulda just left it in there to begin with...

I messed up the inner lip seal while installing the rear clutch pack piston on my 904. I havent been able to find just the lip seals anywhere and I dont want to buy a whole "paper and rubber" kit just for one friggin seal. Id hate to have to put it back together with the old seal, even though it wasn't in bad shape. Now thinking that I shoulda just left it in there to begin with...

Bite the bullet and get the gasket and rubber kit. It can't be that much money. Better to spend a couple of bucks now, than put it all back together with the old seal and find out it leaks and then have to do it all over again and still have to get the gasket and seal kit.
Just my $.25 worth.

transmissionpartsusa.com, bulkpart.com, wittrans.com. Right off the top of the ol' noggin. Individual parts galore, been in your shoes several times.

NAPA used to list seals separately. Not sure if they still do but it's worth a try. Leaving an old seal in is asking for trouble IMO

NAPA used to list seals separately. Not sure if they still do but it's worth a try. Leaving an old seal in is asking for trouble IMO

When I worked in the transmission parts/converter supply industry, the individual lip seals were no longer supplied by the gasket set makers. You could purchase the front and rear seal, the pan gasket, the pump gasket and o-ring, the extension housing gasket and a few other seals, but the lip seals for the drums were no longer available other than in a gasket and seal kit. Their reason: it was too expensive to inventory individual seals for a very small market.
Go to your local transmission shop, they've usually got a box or two with broken gasket sets in them, and they might have your seal.

I was able to buy mine individually from wittrans, no questions asked. They have everything and are sweet southern folk.

Hadda order the whole seal kit. No biggie, was only $11. Went ahead and ordered a direct drum bushing, reverse band, and a manual. Now my next problem is going to be determining/setting the end play since I apparently didnt check it the correct way before teardown...

Dealer can order the individual seals as well. No shipping costs that way. Print a schematic & circle the part you need. I've gotten several trans seals & thust washers that way.

-
Back