Rear disk question

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
I am throwing around the idea of putting rear disk brakes on my barracuda. Not sure what kit to use. I want a kit to where when it comes time to replace the pads I can just go my local part store. I don't need a big expensive kit. I just think I would be smart to invest in rear disk because of the HP & 1/4 times i HOPE to run. Any thoughts ?

Most rear disc brake conversions use GM calipers and pads. U just have to figure out what application to ask for. Sorry I can't remember what mine are. Also be careful, I believe some of these kits require roller bearings and won't work with original style adjustable bearings. And also I think they push the wheels out a hair. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows more than I do. My whole set up was already on the car when I got it.

I would say either doctor diff disk brakes or right stuff detailing ones . I have the right stuff ones on the rear and can't complsin at all and they were like 300$ . Both of those kits use either ford or chevy calipers , don't Remeber wich ones .

I yeah you need the green bearing instaled on your axles I forgot about that part .

I have the green bearings on mine. I have no problem using chevy brake pads. whos going to them lol

I think the ones SSBC sells are Ford's. It would not be tough to figure out what pads they use. My first guess would be late model Mustang.

Any disc brake conversion will widen the rear track by 1/4" or so if you stay with the small bolt circle axles. If you change axles to the B-body style with 4.5" BC you're going to gain around 3/4" of track width. These are not exact numbers, just ballpark.

I think the ones SSBC sells are Ford's. It would not be tough to figure out what pads they use. My first guess would be late model Mustang.

Any disc brake conversion will widen the rear track by 1/4" or so if you stay with the small bolt circle axles. If you change axles to the B-body style with 4.5" BC you're going to gain around 3/4" of track width. These are not exact numbers, just ballpark.
I had my housing shortend 1.5 off each end

Not to beat my own drum but I was on that same road when I started the mustang disc brake conversion using the stock tapered bearings. So

1994 to 2003 Ford Mustang rotors and calipers. There should be a source for those for years to come.
The one off random Chevy stuff I would be concerned goes obsolete at some point.

Off topic but Who shortened that for you? Is there a local shop that will do that?
Yea, cant remember the name. The machine shop is between Milton & Washingtonville along that highway. Its on the left going to Washingtonville. He is expensive. It cost me $200 Limestoneville is where it is

Last edited:
Cadillac calipers off eldorado front drive and D52 pads which will never disappear.

reardisk.jpg

-
Back