Rear drum part number for a 72 Duster?

-

ProSport

Reaction score
Where should I go for the best deal on 10" rear drums for a 72 Duster? My bolt pattern is 4", 8.75 rear-end.

I see Napa has part# ND4401129 for $35 each. Seems like a fair price?

The stock rear drums are the bell style...no part number needed, you can spot those from outer space. The ones you get from the parts store are not going to look anything like the stock drum, but they will fit. If you can find a good used one, I would go in that direction rather than deal with the mystery metal in todays parts. BTW, check for the actual availability on that drum. Many places list them, but over the last year or so inventory has dried up. I sell literally every SBP 10" drum I come across just as fast as I offer them for sale.

Where should I go for the best deal on 10" rear drums for a 72 Duster? My bolt pattern is 4", 8.75 rear-end.

I see Napa has part# ND4401129 for $35 each. Seems like a fair price?

That would be a fantastic price... if that brake drum would fit your car. The drum you need is obsolete and if you happen to find a new one you can expect to pay around $100 each. There is a thread on here about re-machining a front drum to work on the rear. Even the front drum supply is beginning to dry up now.

Wow, I had no idea they were that scarce and that the parts stores don't have the right drums. I don't care if they look stock at all, they just have to work correctly. I have the rear drums, it's just that they appear to need alot of turning to get them smoothed out so I figured it would be better to buy new ones.

Whitepunkonitro, who has the ones that fit but don't look stock? If all else fails I'll just have mine turned and see how they look and feel.

I ended up having these drums turned, they cleaned up easily and they work great.
My next question is..... If i have these stock axles re-drilled to the 4.5 bolt pattern, will I be able to buy new drums? It looks like Summit Racing lists 10" drums with a 4.5 pattern, but it says they're for a 72 Cuda.
Thanks.

try centric #123.63044 at rock auto
made by c tek 10 x 1 3/4"
...this is from a recent thread

to answer your re-drill question-- no the small 1.75 inch wide drum have specific backing plates & these much match the drums.
someone now reproduces the drums & people have had great results with them ,Lawrence

I ended up having these drums turned, they cleaned up easily and they work great.
My next question is..... If i have these stock axles re-drilled to the 4.5 bolt pattern, will I be able to buy new drums? It looks like Summit Racing lists 10" drums with a 4.5 pattern, but it says they're for a 72 Cuda.
Thanks.
You can get the stock drums redrilled. Dont drill for 1/2 inch studs, the axle gets thin on the edge. A 7/16 screw in stud requires a smaller hole. Check price on having this done, might be better to buy a new set already 4 1/2

to answer your re-drill question-- no the small 1.75 inch wide drum have specific backing plates & these much match the drums.
someone now reproduces the drums & people have had great results with them ,Lawrence

Ok so I need to stick with my current drums. Do you know who reproduces them now?

You can get the stock drums redrilled. Dont drill for 1/2 inch studs, the axle gets thin on the edge. A 7/16 screw in stud requires a smaller hole. Check price on having this done, might be better to buy a new set already 4 1/2

I'm gonna use 1/2" screw-in studs, they require a slightly smaller hole than knurled studs.
I would never run 7/16 studs in a performance car, I normally run a Dana with aftermarket axles and 5/8 studs in my hot rods. This car is just a street cruiser but it does make plenty of power.
Wheel spin is my only hope of not breaking anything.

-
Back