Rear Drums VS. Price VS. Quality..

-

Eric_S68

Reaction score
Hey all... Ok, I picked up a set of 11" x 2.5" Rear Brakes for the Duster and I need to get a set of Drums. So, I'm looking at the Advance auto parts website and they list 4 different Drums all 11x2.5 as follows:

Wearever $54.28

Bendix - $69.88

Raybestos Aimco-gs - $39.99

Raybestos PG Plus - $36.99

Is there a quality issue Here? I don't mind payin for the Bendix If I thought they would stop better. Any ideas what the difference could be between them?

maybe semi metallic vs. just bonded. semi metallic will wear and last longer so they are more expensive.....

oops! i guess i missed that. sorry. i have no idea then. if they have in stock at a location maybe you can look at them to see the difference....

A way to look at it is Bendex is the OE manufacture of the brake system. I have allways recomended those brats to the DIY guys that ask me to solve there problems of why it dosen't fit.
Sometimes I have gotten brand new drums that needed to be machined (cut) to fit with new brake shoes. Go figure.

Ahh, Bendix is the Main manufacturer ,Thanks Rumble that Helps... But, I still can't see the difference... Do they use different composition metals? That's the only difference I can think about. Maybe finned vs. not? Dunno.. Any more ideas?

I have never had an issue or complaint about anything I have purchased with the Raybestos name. They are arguably the premier aftermarket supplier of brake parts.

The one time I purchased rotors folr my truck with the Bendix name they were marked "Made in China" if that makes a difference to you. I had no issues with the rotors.

Eric_S68 said:
Ahh, Bendix is the Main manufacturer ,Thanks Rumble that Helps... But, I still can't see the difference... Do they use different composition metals? That's the only difference I can think about. Maybe finned vs. not? Dunno.. Any more ideas?

I have not had a problem with 90% of anything I've done with brakes.
dgc333 I have never had an issue or complaint about anything I have purchased with the Raybestos name.
I Agree. Good stuff so far. I just have had some guys complain that the parts they have purchased suck, don't fit, wobble, etc...This is followed by them not knowing what the name brand is and them trying a couple of times and a couple of stores. When they ask me what I use, regular auto store stuff, and they tell me the story, I tell them Bendix.

Different metals. I doubt it. Finned or not? Good question. Perhaps we have a parts man out there?

Just to make it more interesting... Autozone.com Only Lists one rear drum for an 11" x 2.5" Application. Duralast - 51.99 Each. I think, I may have to drive the local parts guys crazy, Just order em all and pick the finned/straight one. The guys at advance wont like me dealin with 8 - 11"drums for the same car. But ya know, I want the best part for my $. There's lots of other parts I can spend the $ on.

The other thing may be due to cooling fins, or cooling design. Sometimes it's best to read the actual book as it will give a better description of the differences. As in heavy duty replacements, or standard use. On the older cars as in before 1980 I always look up the part myself in the book to get the exact options. Not what some person who just puts in the basics as a programmer.

-
Back