rear end crackage

-

LeftCoastJeff

Rubberking
Reaction score
Greetings from sunny Kalifornia, please send rain!!!!!!:angry7:
Got my hands of a '72' gold duster...finally!:love7:

She has a 225 6 banger, auto trans (reverse? No!)

When I brought "the beater" home my wife fell in love, instantly!

Some very strange noises have been comming from the trunk, like a tool fell out onto the street.

Up on stands, I find 10 Lbs. of orange silicon attempting to seal things on the rear end.

Removed bolts, pryed carefully and found that the large pin in the center loose and beat up on both ends.

Upon further inspection, the piece that the pin goes through, has a crack in it!!

Which of the many topics (here) would be the best place to discuss my delima?

Any advice is appriciated,

The wifes problem with the crack in her rear end jokes are appriciated as well.

I have pics, if anyone is interested, (the car, not the wife)

LCjeff

PS, I tried to measure the ring gear, looks like 7"

2v0emo5.jpg

is it a 7.25 rear end? if so you should have no problem finding a used one and/or parts. people swap them out all the time because stuff like this happens. If you plan on modifying the car at all i.e. v-8 swap or hot six build, you should probably just change out the rear end to something stronger. there are junkyard options, just search the site archives and i'm sure there will be plenty of info.
-Tim

I was going to say, I have one you can have, but the drive my be a bit far. I'm in Palm Springs...

The old girl is toast, fubar, shot, NFG. Like said above keep bumping this to the top as someone here can get you a good differential case but first make sure of what you got. Here's a link that tells you at a glance what she is and yes size does matter. LOL She's either a 7 1/4 or 8 1/4. http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/6.html

Terry

I was going to say, I have one you can have, but the drive my be a bit far. I'm in Palm Springs...

Thats a crack by cracky! I have one too if crackedback here will let it go. But I am just as far as he is. I am near Temecula. Let us know.

I got a 7&1/4" axle too ,I'm located in the san francisco bay area if that's any closer.Let Me know if you could use it .

Thats a crack by cracky! I have one too if crackedback here will let it go. But I am just as far as he is. I am near Temecula. Let us know.

Hey Hey hey.... stand in line to get rid of your junk!!! :-D

Pretty cool you have at least 3 people from the site offering up rear axles. Jomoper is pretty close so that may be the best option. :cheers:

I too will offer one or, a special take one get another for free! but I'm in Seattle.

the amazing part is that people have even kept a 7 1/4 axle. It would have been high on my priority list to scrap it.

Just so you all know, LC Jeff is my other half! :)

I know I haven't been around for a while, but the car needed to take the back seat for a while as we got our ducks in a row. I sure do miss driving her, though!!

Still no reverse, but I'm almost done with the paint job. I'll post more pics when I get her all in blue.

Thanks a bunch for your help. Hopefully, I can work on her more this year, as I'm sure it'll be a better one!!

Cricket

Cricket, I had a feeling this was for your car. The description of the car and the location kind of gave it away. The 7 1/4 I have is in a Dart and works great. If you need it, let me know soon because I am making plans for the car as I type.

I figured I should say something, so you knew that which poor car we were talking about! :)

I'll talk to Jeff tonight and see when we or he can get up there. I have Wed & Thurs off, but his schedule is a bit more flexible.

We did get the heater going finally, though, and the defrost, which is desperately needed here in Monterey!!

Slowly but surely, I'll have her back on the road.

I have one ready to go...I am in the Pasadena area. It is "fresh" out of the car and sitting behind the garage.

Sorry...I will read the entire thread next time... ;-)

Cricket, I had a feeling this was for your car. The description of the car and the location kind of gave it away. The 7 1/4 I have is in a Dart and works great. If you need it, let me know soon because I am making plans for the car as I type.

Yes we want it!
Now the question, truck or little car?
Bring tools, jack and stands?
(OT)Nice, ask for rain in the right forum, and we get rain!:cheers:(OT)

Trying to get my ducks in a row, PM your location and I'll map-it.
Hopefully this week or next I'll have time to brave the 101(Hate 17)
LCjeff

Left Coast, I have one for you if you need it located on the SF Bay Area Peninsula.

Dude you are the man!!!
Many thanks goes to you for your generousity!!

the amazing part is that people have even kept a 7 1/4 axle. It would have been high on my priority list to scrap it.

Perhapse you should keep it, might come in handy sometime.

I have one ready to go...I am in the Pasadena area. It is "fresh" out of the car and sitting behind the garage.

Thanks but SF is bad enough, LA????????UGH!! (lucky we went up the coast and missed the crazyness)

Got home @2PM, OLD out, NEW in, some parking break cable issues I'll work out tomorrow,,,,and cricket will be driving the gold duster by the weekend thanks to YOUR help!!!!!!
As for that trans, I just gotta find a place to put the big block for the boat!
I'll bring the engine hoist soon and I'll pluck that motor, Should I bring a air compressor for the light-sabre and make it a day out of it? I think we can make that 69 into 69 pieces in short order, and I'll cart off all the unusable bits, presto! 1 more parking place, for say?????????

"I too will offer one or, a special take one get another for free! but I'm in Seattle."

I'm in Puyallup. I'd like to find a cheap 8-1/4 to replace the 7-1/4" in my 71 swinger. Also looking for a 904. Any ideas and anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area, I'm all ears.
TIA
Mike pioneerp @yahoo.com

:thebirdm:
Dude you are the man!!!
Many thanks goes to you for your generousity!!

Perhapse you should keep it, might come in handy sometime.

Thanks but SF is bad enough, LA????????UGH!! (lucky we went up the coast and missed the crazyness)

Got home @2PM, OLD out, NEW in, some parking break cable issues I'll work out tomorrow,,,,and cricket will be driving the gold duster by the weekend thanks to YOUR help!!!!!!
As for that trans, I just gotta find a place to put the big block for the boat!
I'll bring the engine hoist soon and I'll pluck that motor, Should I bring a air compressor for the light-sabre and make it a day out of it? I think we can make that 69 into 69 pieces in short order, and I'll cart off all the unusable bits, presto! 1 more parking place, for say?????????

Jeff, it was nice meeting you and Cricket. It sounds like the rearend and springs popped right in ... like it should. And even though they weren't that heavy, your liftgate was a welcome sight. Just in case you always wondered what you looked like trying to take a nap by a Dart, here you go. ;)

IMG_5596-1.jpg

Caught in the act!

Finished today, the parking break cables had to be transplanted, hope i never have to do that again.
All the break bits had to come out to get to the cable, that was the easy part.
The cable sheath is held in place by 3 prongs
You need to compress all the prongs and slip it out, sounds simple.
3 hours on the brakes!!!
But It's sooooooooooooo smooooooooooooth!!!
I miss driving the duster.
Again many thanks,
LCjeff

Welcome to FABO! LOL!

Glad you got it fixed.

There is a little trick to removing the emergency brake cable. I use a small hose clamp and slide it on the prongs... tighten until it pulls the prongs inward.. then push the cable through the hole. Works like a champ for me.

-
Back