Rear End is Done!

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
The area under the shock mount gathers huge amount of grit causing the rust you see below. I picked up some structural steel and fabbed up a repair that should be far stonger than stock. Boxed in the shock mount itself too. :bom:

Rust.jpg

Prep.jpg

Cut1.jpg

Cut2.jpg

Fitrear.jpg

Weldrear.jpg

Box1.jpg

Weldbox.jpg

Paintedrear.jpg

Awww ... this one's just way too easy. ;-)

LOL! Well, it's not a four link with a electric locker or anything exotic like that as I am not a lotto winner.......yet! LOL! BTW, I did check on e-locker availiblity for the corporate 9.25. They're not availible. I'd have to go with a ford 9" from Currie or a Dana 60 to pull that off. Big bucks!

Thanks Signet and Kevin! It's always nice to get a thumbs up from my peers. :icon_smi:

You got a nice rear end there.... er.... uh.....for the vehicle that is.... yeah...

-RPM

Dang you are grooving write allong!!:cheers:
Very nice and smart work you have dun there ramcharger!!
Looks like you know your way around any problem and do good work.8)
That is going to be a beast of a truck.:-D

Rpm & GTX, at least I didn't say "I got my rear all buttoned up" or "my rear is good and tight!" LOLOLOL!

Thanks Gerty and Memike!

Excellent work and welding, but I do have a question. Have you checked to see if your U-bolts will work with that repair? In the pics it looks like your repair is larger diameter than the axle tube. You may be looking at larger diameter U-bolts which may not work with the shock plate hole pattern. Very nice repair though.

Excellent work and welding, but I do have a question. Have you checked to see if your U-bolts will work with that repair? In the pics it looks like your repair is larger diameter than the axle tube. You may be looking at larger diameter U-bolts which may not work with the shock plate hole pattern. Very nice repair though.

Very astute of you 6pak! The u-bolts actually are square and the squared end sits on top of the springs and a small flat retainer plate. The shock plate sits underneath the axle (where the repair was made) and is somewhat hemisherical in shape, hence the rust problem I encountered. I heated the shock plate cherry red and whacked it a couple times using the original pipe as a die and it conformed just right. After this was done was when I boxed in the shock mount. When I ran the bolts through there was some interference which I solved by notching the repair. So, all is good and thank you for the question!

-
Back