Rear end question

-

scampy72

Reaction score
hey all,

ok i need to know which is stronger, and dont kill me cause right now im working with the parts and money i got.

i have two rear ends, one is a ford 8.8 from a 5.0 mustang and the other is a gm 10 bolt? from a 5.0 firebird formula.

one of em is going into the scamp with the 440, neither have a limited slip yet, and not sure what the gearings are but i can always change that.

so which one is the stronger one?

BTW when i get the money (aka a better job) i plan on going to a dana so this is just temporary, and before anyone says wait to do the swap til i get that, i cant, the /6 thats in there is starting to die and i already have the 440 and my brother has a buddy with a junkyard that i can get the other things i need from, this car is on a rat rod mentality until the distant future, this means im making eveything i can myself including control arms, what ever brakes i can find and make work etc.

sorry for the long post.

Since it's "temporary" (around here that can mean several years) I'd use the 8.8. You don't have to screw with redrilling the bolt pattern, or do you have the small pattern? Or were you just gonna use (gag) Chivvy wheels on the rear?

There are several good 8.8 swap threads around here. Do a little looking around. I don't recall ever seeing a GM 10-bolt swap in a Mopar. Not sure that the GM 10-bolt is much to speak of as far as strength.

The 8.8 is a ton stronger than the Firebird rear and when set up correctly can take a ton of abuse. The Firebird rear has a 7.5" ring gear that will scatter like leaves behind a big block. The 8.8's ring gear is actually almost as big as a Chevy 12 bolt which is 8.875".

I have an 8.8 in my "other" car :) Never had any trouble with it and they can with stand a good bit of power.

thanks all i guess im going with the 8.8. as far as wheels im going after market (foose most likely) so i just need the bolt pattern and dont mind much if the front and rear patterns dont match, as long as a) its the same wheel and b) i can get a universal spare.

There are several good 8.8 swap threads around here. Do a little looking around. I don't recall ever seeing a GM 10-bolt swap in a Mopar. Not sure that the GM 10-bolt is much to speak of as far as strength.

The 10-bolt GM 8.5 rearend is plenty strong (the same one under the grand national) is one of the strongest GM rearend out there. I've it them live behind 550+ HP gns without a problem or mods. Any more than that I'd upgrade that rearend.

-
Back