Rear end question

-

extreme green dart

Reaction score
I have a 7 1/4 in my dart now. Building a 8 3/4 with small bolt pattern axles so I can use the existing rims. Will the backing plates work from the 7 1/4 ?
When I purchased the housing at carlisle a few years ago it came with only one backing plate. The only other ones i have are from a 70 cuda 8 3/4 with 11 inch brakes.

I'm pretty sure the only difference in the backing plates is the 7.25 is missing the bottom center bolt hole , other wise it should be the same .

If you are using the A body small bolt pattern 8 3/4 axles you HAVE to use the A body 8 3/4 brake backing plates. The spacing of the alxe flange face in relation to the backing plates are specific to the A-body 8 3/4.

i have an extra set of backing plates for an a-body 8.75.pms me if your interested

o.k. Thanks guys. I have a set of 8 3/4 backing plates from a cuda which i believe are for a 11 inch drum. (I have one backing plate that came with the housing and it is smaller than the set from the cuda.Since I need drums also(new) should I use the cuda backers or won't they work with the small bolt pattern axles?
Thanks in advance.

The small bolt pattern brakes need the small bolt pattern backing plates for the 10 X 1 3/4 shoes. Anything else will need modifications......sometimes major ones.

Thanks, I still need a small bolt pattern b-plate but was able to order all the brake stuff from auto +. suprised how much stuff they had in stock. Need to call Cas ( dr Diff) for some other items. Ducks in a row = Dart to Carlisle! To Hell with that new Chally. We are going old school.:icon_smi:

Which side backing plate are you missing?? You can identify which side you have by where the E-brake hole is located. It needs to face forward. I have an extra passenger side if thats the one you're missing. Let me know, Geof

I have both $95 shipped cleaned and ready to install no rusted junk from me. That is for the pair. From Pa.

Too bad cosgig the backing plate I have is a pass side. Still working out the details. Thanks for all the input guys. Think spring here in upstate N.Y.

-
Back