Rear end replacement

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So I'm getting all my parts together to put my 73 dart back together and a different rear end is the last on my list. Currently it has the wimpy 71/4 in it, and I'm putting a 360 in that has close to 400hp or more, so I don't think it will take that power very well lol. Are all A body rear ends the same? (Width wise ect) and will it bolt up without modification? Or will I need to change something? My grandpa has an old 68 barracuda for a parts car that has a 83/4 3.55 (not 100% sure about gears) would I be able to take it out and directly bolt it into my dart? New leafs and some other parts will be replaced though. And could I use my driveshaft with that rear end? Or is the length slightly different?

The rear should bolt right in no problem. You will need the shock plates from the 8 3/4 too. The driveshaft will need shortened and balanced.

So I'm getting all my parts together to put my 73 dart back together and a different rear end is the last on my list. Currently it has the wimpy 71/4 in it, and I'm putting a 360 in that has close to 400hp or more, so I don't think it will take that power very well lol. Are all A body rear ends the same? (Width wise ect) and will it bolt up without modification? Or will I need to change something? My grandpa has an old 68 barracuda for a parts car that has a 83/4 3.55 (not 100% sure about gears) would I be able to take it out and directly bolt it into my dart? New leafs and some other parts will be replaced though. And could I use my driveshaft with that rear end? Or is the length slightly different?

On your 73 Dart you have 5x4.1/2" bolt circle, 68 has 5x4" bolt circle.

He could still have sbp if he has factory drum brakes on all four corners. BBP only came on disc brake A-bodies from 73 to 76.

Sorry. Didn´t know that. In my World there is allways disc brakes in all A-body from 67. Have never seen one with drums in the front in Sweden...

I do have factory disc brakes, so I will have to switch it over to a my BBP, my main concern is that the width would be correct. I guess my best bet would be finding a BBP a body 8 3/4, but this one is free so I think I'm going to jump on the opportunity.

I do have factory disc brakes, so I will have to switch it over to a my BBP, my main concern is that the width would be correct. I guess my best bet would be finding a BBP a body 8 3/4, but this one is free so I think I'm going to jump on the opportunity.

I certainly would.

-
Back