rear end swap 67 dart

-

scottballis

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 67 dart with a 273 2bbl. I intend on keeping small block, but will upgrade to a 340. I heard the rear end is the weak link. Is there a direct swap to upgrade? and can you give me some models/years to look for with the bigger rear end? Thanks.

Scott

One thing to note is, do you want to keep the 4" bolt circle?

If you do then you will have to find an A body 8 3/4.

If you are going to 4.5 pattern then an 8 1/4 should do ok. Any A body with a 4.5 BP will work for you.

There are a lot more choices out there if you want to narrow a rear end to fit, or going to move spring or mini tub.

And welcome to FABO Scott

Thanks for the info, I'm not comitted to the small bolt pattern, so whatever works best is alright. thanks for the welcome, I plan on using this resourse through the project.

Scott

My 1967 barracuda came with a 273/2 bbl auto and a 7 1/4" rear. The drive shaft needed to be shortened when I upgraded to an 8 3/4" rear. The original drive shaft from this car had a strange deal with a rubber bushing in between an inner and outer tube near the rear u-joint. We determined the original drive shaft would not handle the torque and power of the 340 engine I was going to install. so,I ended up having a new driveshaft made for the car.

when you replace a 7 1/4" rear with an 8 3/4" rear, plan on:

Replacing the u-bolts and lower shock mount plates (due to increased axle tube diameter)

Having to shorten (or possibly replace the driveshaft)

Probably should: replace or rework the rear springs, rear shocks, rear brakes, etc. (depending on the condition of the existing units).

It may be a lot cheaper to find a parts car with most (if not all) of the stuff you need. If you have to buy this stuff ala cart it came get pricey!!

Bob

thanks for the advice, just have to find the right donor, someone told me they got all their gear from a station wagon.

Scott

When I had my 71 Duster I used a 69 B-body rear. I cut off the spring perches and welded a set of new ones from Mopar Performance (less than $10 at the time) in the proper locations. Other than having the driveshaft shortened, it was practically a bolt-in. I used stock 73 rally wheels and one of the nice results was that the rear end was now as wide as the front. If you want to use wide tires, you would have to use some wheels with more backspacing or the tires will scrape the wheels wells.

-
Back