Rear End Widths with mini tub

-

BrianKB

Reaction score
So I've mini tube my 65 dart got close to 13 inch of room for some fat tires. What I'm trying to figure out is how much i need to cut my rear end so i can put 10X17 or 18 wheels. It is 53 3/8 inches to center of tube to center of tube i know 8 3/4 a abody is 52 5/8 flange to flange & 57 1/8 drum to drum. I plan on putting disc breaks on it and also have a RMS 4 link installed with that being said i think i need to cut 2 1/4 off each side for a total 4 1/2 that should put me close to center of my tubs? Any help would be appreciated.

The only sure method that I always use is to set the wheels and tires in the wheel wells, get them set in there straight (parallel to the axis of the car). Center the tires in each well (equal clearance on both sides) then measure between the insides of the wheel mounting surface. Make sure that your wheel off set is the off set that you're going to stay with because "all bets are off" if you change the off set>

treblig

The only sure method that I always use is to set the wheels and tires in the wheel wells, get them set in there straight (parallel to the axis of the car). Center the tires in each well (equal clearance on both sides) then measure between the insides of the wheel mounting surface. Make sure that your wheel off set is the off set that you're going to stay with because "all bets are off" if you change the off set>

treblig
I knew someone was going to say that I guess I need to make my feeble mind up on what rims to buy. Thanks

I knew someone was going to say that I guess I need to make my feeble mind up on what rims to buy. Thanks

You actually don't have any choice because if you get the rear end made the width that you think it should be ....then you can't find rims in the style and off set that you what....what are you going to do??? I've seen guys do this before, they get the rear end of their dreams then can't find rims (in the style they want) with the correct off set.
Each rim style only come in certain off sets. Even if you had a set of old rims with the tires (of the correct size) that you're going to use you'd still have to find new rims (of the style you want) in the off set of the old rims....you're trapped either way.
Not only do you need the rims that you're going to use but you also have to get some tires (old or new) of the correct size/width to keep your side clearance where you want it. The amount that a tire sticks out beyond the rim will differ depending on the height and width of the tire and rim.
I've even seen guys that find the rims (in a catalog or on line) that they love with the correct off set then build their rear end to fit the rims without buying anything. Then after fitting the rear end under the car they go to "order" the rims that they had found and the rims have been discontinued.

Treblig

Im using a 10x15 rim on my 66 Dart that I mini tubbed. they have 6.5" backspacing. Im running a 295/50r15 BFG. The rear end is a stock a body 8.75. Looking back I wish I would have narrowed it at least an inch on both sides but I am very happy the way is sits. I have at least 3/4" on the fender well side and 2" on the inside but also did the relocation of springs. I can send you pics if you want to see.
Best of luck
Rod

I'm in the middle of mini tubbing my 65 Valiant with springs moved into the frames so I'll follow your thread. I just ordered some 15x10 Weld knockoffs with a 4.5" backspace. I'm going to mock up everything and measure 14 times before sending my housing off to Moser to be narrowed. I'd like to put a 315 or 325 tire on it but will probably go with a 295 drag radial to be safe.

Don't forget to calculate the rest of the measurements. Axel flange stand-out, brake hardware spacing, drum/disk width. I'm going to order my axels custom from DrDiff. Good luck with your project.

Remember that if your rear end comes out a "hair" narrow (1/6"-1/8") you can use thin spacers to make up for the difference. If you make it too wide you'll have to get new rims (again).

Treblig

-
Back