rear end

-

red_duster74

Reaction score
hey im looking at upgrading my tiny 7 1/4 rear end to a bigger 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 ... i dont know what cars would have either of those rear ends and would be the right size for an a-body duster. and if they are posi would help too... ratios too... any help is appreciated.
thanks michael

To locate an 8 1/4" rear, it will have to come out of a 73 and later car, most likely with disc brakes. Any Duster, Scamp, Valiant or Dart from 73 and later would be a possible donor. No 8 3/4" rear ever came with the LBP so if you're looking to swap an 8 3/4 in, you may end up with a bolt pattern mis-match. To check for a suregrip, either check the buildsheet if the donor car has one, or if you can jack up the car, spin the rear wheels, if they both spin the same way, it has a SG. Ratio shouldn't matter as you can always change that, the big thing is to find one.

Too bad you're so far from Michigan, I came across a bunch of cars with 8 1/4's and am going to be bringing them home as time and $$ permits!! Good luck with your search!! Geof

thanks and like any 80's or 90's dodge vans or trucks that would have a larger rear end? because at the junk yards in my area have a ton of those. not so popular with older cars

Most 80's and 90's Dodge pickups will most likely have a Dana, which is a truck style unit. The biggest difference other than the length is the fact that the spring perches are welded on the top of the axle tubes instead of the bottom like the cars. Truck dana's are a hard sell as they require a lot of work to get them to fit from the largest size manufactured into the smallest body size. If you think buying an 8 3/4" is expensive, try pricing this conversion!!!

You'd be way ahead putting a "parts wanted" thread here and seeing what turns up in your area. A lot of guys on here are from Florida and may have what you're looking for!! For one thing, a parts wanted ad here is FREE!!!! Good luck with your search!! Geof

Did you ever consider an 8.8 rear out of a Ford Explorer? They are quite tough, around the same width, all 95 and newer have rear disc brakes, theay are the same bolt pattern as your duster and by reading the door codes you can find 3.73 gears and 4.10s available in a limited slip. You can usually get them in the $100-200 price range

I would check your rear end again ,ours came stock with the 225 but came with an 8 1/4 rear end and also the bigger torsion bars Kinda like Ma Mopar was going to put a V-8 in it and at the last minute stuck a slant .

Bob

oh really and would the leaf spring mounting bolts be the same width ?

That you would have to measure out. I already cut mine off to measure for you. They are easy enough to cut off and re-weld in the correct location if they are not.
There are a lot of threads about the swap on here. Most cut the rear and take 3" out, but they fit fine on the dusters at full width. They are the same width as a B-Body rear.
Here are a few links, but there are many more:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=89918

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=140972

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=137218

Most 80's and 90's Dodge pickups will most likely have a Dana, which is a truck style unit. The biggest difference other than the length is the fact that the spring perches are welded on the top of the axle tubes instead of the bottom like the cars. Truck dana's are a hard sell as they require a lot of work to get them to fit from the largest size manufactured into the smallest body size. If you think buying an 8 3/4" is expensive, try pricing this conversion!!!

You'd be way ahead putting a "parts wanted" thread here and seeing what turns up in your area. A lot of guys on here are from Florida and may have what you're looking for!! For one thing, a parts wanted ad here is FREE!!!! Good luck with your search!! Geof

I did it for about $900 with Moser axles. IMO it was cheaper then buying an 8 3/4 and having it gone though.

Cmon guy's-with all due respect,I think you are confusing him.Anything can be accomplished with enough money or enough knowledge.If he gets too confused he wont be able to enjoy his car.Bolting another axle in that is a direct swap is one thing but hacking,cutting,welding,measuring,most of us don't do that right off.Not trying to degrade you buddy-exactly the opposite.Baby steps before you run the marathon.Again not putting you down at all.

I totally agree, thats why I said to re-check that rear end you got under that thing, Unless you are pushing more than 400 ponies a 8 1/4 would be just fine.
If you were closer I just pulled out a 8 1/4 out of our Duster and swapped in a 8 3/4. I even have a sure grip to go with it

Bob

how would i be able to measure it? and which vin character would indicate the rear end... and what would it be to be sure of the rear end?

Find one that fits an A body. It will put you ahead over any other ones. Try your local craigslist. FYI your will probably need a drive shaft as well or have yours reworked. If a weekend crusier is what you want the 8 1/4 will be just fine.

The Ford Explorer rear has 2 different axle/tube lengths, disc brakes that might not fit in your wheels, etc.. The 8.25 rear will be the best choise.

-
Back