rear end

-

gipperco

Reaction score
Hey you guys and gals, out there with all the knowledge. I was at the local Pick a Part today getting a seat for my Father-In-Law's Ramcharger and I happened to see a 1966 Dodge Pick up that was stitting on the rear drums. I stuck my head under it to look at the rear end, cause that is the kinda guy that I am, : O , LOL anyway, it has an 8-3/4 on it. Will that work for an A-Body? Would it have the big bolt pattern, I think it did but not sure. How much work would I have to do to make it work under the Dart for My wife's bracket car. I can get the entire complete rear end, for 100.00 if I pull it. I have no idea what the gears are or anything. Come on don't hold back what is everyone's opinion. I was thinking about buying it and then reselling it too if it wouldn't work.

Well where to begin. In all likelyhood the rear end is a 741 which of the three 8 3/4 models is purported to be the weakest because it has the smallest diameter pinion gear shaft. It can be used in moderate applications but consider that if this rearend has been sitting for a long time all the internals will have to be replaced due to rust. Basically you're buying the housing but you are getting the brakes and operating gear so 100 bucks is probably a good deal. There is an off chance the rear end is a 657 in which case run like hell. http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/axle/1.html

Terry

Well I have a 742 chunk with 323 opens in it in the garage, so I was going to get new ring and pinion gears with a spool anyway. I have been told that I need at least 430 or 456 gears for a mild 318 build that we are doing. So I was just thinking that if the one in the truck would work with out too much modification that would be the way to go. I have seen people on here talking and on E-Bay about shortened housings only going for 200.00. I am new to this portion of the MOPAR game so I am still learning.

If it's an original truck rear end it's probably a 742 case. I'm not saying they didn't use 741's in them but I have never seen one. It's also possible that it's a sure-grip and if it is the only one they had that year is the good clutch type. For $100 it's definitely worth checking into.

To make it work in a Dart would mean cutting down the housing. (It cost me $200 to have one done locally). You'd also need to either cut down the axles or get new ones and if your running a bracket car I would only consider new ones. You'd also need to remove the spring perches and weld on new ones on 43" centers. If you can get a housing off of E-bay for $200 that is all ready to go that's the best deal but I'd definitely check out the truck rear just to see what it is. If it is a good 742 with a sure grip and decent gears just the pig is worth 4 times what your paying for it.

The chunk that I have is not a 742 it is a 489 with open 323's that is what I am planning on putting in the Dart with spooled 430's or 456's

first of all any 8 3/4 is worth saving from the crusher., if you dont use it some one will,, you can resell it for what you have in it buying it @ 100 bucks,, easy,,,its probably more likely to be the width of a B body, but depending what your doing ,you could get off set rims depending on tire size you want to use and make it fit,,

2nd,, unless your running a nitro burning funny car a 741 case will work fine,, to much hoopla about 741 vs 742 vs 489,,, a friend of mine ran a 741 case with 323 gears,, and a narrow slick in a dart with a warmed up 340 AND a 4 speed,,, it never came apart,,so if any one wants to throw out there 741 case ill take it,,, i can remember when you could get a rear end at U PULL IT for 43.00,, and it was only a few years ago,,,

-
Back