Rear ended moving around, need some tips.

-

Andre68

Reaction score
So I swapped an explorer 8.8 into my 64 barracuda. Install went well and all that but, I noticed that my aftermarket spring perches that I bought on eBay have a bigger hole on the perch, than the size of the leaf spring centering pin. So upon test driving the rear end the other day, when I pulled back into my garage I noticed that the rear end is moved, passenger side seems to be in the same spot but the other side is back by 1/2" or so.

Does anyone know how I can remedy this?

I've considered removing the rear and welding up the hole and re drill as required but that's just not really practical and the perch metal is thick. Too thick for my mig 140

If anyone has any ideas on how to deal with this, it would be appreciated!

You don't think you can find a spring bolt with the correct threads and a larger pin (the part that goes into the spring pad). If they don't make the spring bolt that you need then you could get a longer spring bolt (I know they make them in various lengths) and slide a spacer, something like this:
5/16" ID X 1" OD X 7/8" TALL STEEL STANDOFF, SPACER , SLEEVE , BUSHING (4pcs) | eBay

onto the extra long spring bolt so that the spacer fits up under the head of the bolt, then you'll have a larger diameter pin to stick up into the spring pad using the correct diameter threaded bolt. There's usually a lot of space between the spring pad and the axle tube but it the old pin sticks up too much you can trim it down some because the spacer will now center the bolt in the spring pad hole.

Treblig

Put a 8-3/4 in!

Well can you put some drilled dowels in to take up the space?

Go to a spring shop and get bigger pins that's what I did on my 8.8 Tell them what you have or take the springs to them and they can install them. I know the spring and axle shop here will do that. Not too expensive.

Last edited:
You know that's a great idea, can't believe I didn't think of that haha

It might be a little difficult to hunt down leaf spring bolt with the correct size. Might be forced to get one of those spacers.

I wish I could have gone 8 3/4. But it's hard to beat a good condition 8.8 for $75 from the local pick and pull on there 50% off day

Local hardware box store for a bushing...

Yes, the bushing can be made of brass, steel or aluminum. So whatever the hardware store has should work. You might have to drill out the ID but that's easy, just be sure and get the OD as close as possible.

Treblig

Your mig will work if its a 140, you are only welding one piece not welding 2 together.
Put a bead in the hole front or back which ever you need to center the axle and you are gold.

I remember one of the Mopar rags several years ago did an article in which the perches from MP came with holes larger than original. They took a small threaded pipe nipple (3/8"?), shoved it in the hole, welded it in, cut it flush, and then drilled out the opening to the correct size. Worked for them. Has worked for me too.

-
Back