Rear gear recommendation old school build

-

danmax

Reaction score
I have a 360 here that was built almost 15 years ago, run in on the dyno and stored (made about 400/400).

It was built to run on avgas with 12.5 to 1 comp.

ported J heads, cam is erson hi flow 3h 477/477 lift 240/240@50

Rhoads lifters, Victor 340 intake with annular discharge 750 Holley.

Convertor is a quality 3500 stall and trans is full manual 904.

This car will be street driven maybe couple of times a month and strip maybe every two months.
I'll be running pump gas with water/meth injection system that I bought 5 years ago but never got around to using.

Advice please on what gears I should be looking at with my 8 3/4 rear.
Street tyres are 275/60x15 and strip are ET street 275/50x15.

And anything else I should really look at?

My favorite street gears are 3.91s and my favorite strip gears are 4.30s, that always been my opinion with a small block a-body anyways.With that big of a tire on the rear you should be able to run the 3.91s perfectly on the street and strip, your converter will compensate for the 3.91s at the strip. Just my personal preference.

X2, the bigger wider A bodies run good on 3:91's I am told... I run a 3:55 on my 64..

Hey Dan

I'm running 3.91 in mine with 28" tall tyres, cam is old Mpoar purple 528 with edelbrock alloy heads & STR 1-2 & 4000 stall, cruszies around 3200rpm at 60mph.
Your more than welcome to take it for a run on Sunday to see how you like it.

Hey Dan

I'm running 3.91 in mine with 28" tall tyres, cam is old Mpoar purple 528 with edelbrock alloy heads & STR 1-2 & 4000 stall, cruszies around 3200rpm at 60mph.
Your more than welcome to take it for a run on Sunday to see how you like it.

Thanks Karl -
I'm sure nobody will notice I'm not you if I put a helmet on :)

Thanks for th erecommendations guys - what else would you do as a minimum with engine that has been sitting this long?

trans and convertor all new/unused but almost 15 years old

First off, don't run AV gas. It has additives that will damage automotive engines. Use automotive grade race fuel. I agree with the gear selections recommended, but I say skip the 3.91 and go straight to 4.10s or even 4.30s.

Thanks for the advice
Avgas used to be leaded here in Aus that was what all the hotter street/strip cars used to use. That is tjust the fuel the engine used to run in on the dyno.

As I stated in my first post I'll be running pump gas with water/meth injection.

Hey Dan
I would pull the pan/sump, rocker covers & inlet do an inspection & at the same time replace the rear main & crank seals as there is a good chance they may have become brittle.
For the $200 to service the box I would do the same as nothing is worse than spring a leak once it's in.

In the old days instead of av gas I ran BP100.

-
Back