Rear gear wines

-

Waco Demon

Reaction score
My rear gear wines when I push down on the gas and stops when I let up .My rear gear is a new 8 3/4 373 .It is in my 72 Demon with a 340 and a 904 transmission . thank you for any help Waco Demon

might be either put together incorrectly or not enough lube in there... could maybe be a "break in" thing - though it shouldn't... one other possible thing - the breather can be installed too deep and rub on the axle.. though that's more of a scream than a whine...

I chased this very same problem and I finally found a cracked race in the axel bearing . just another option to check .

Do a quick check to make sure the yoke is tight and not letting the pinion move.
That will destroy gears really quick.
Other than that, either something was not put together quite right, or something is loosening up.

My rear gear wines when I push down on the gas and stops when I let up .My rear gear is a new 8 3/4 373 .It is in my 72 Demon with a 340 and a 904 transmission . thank you for any help Waco Demon
Could be incorrect gear lash adjustment(did you install the gears or did someone else do it?). Also a rear gear race set up with Richmond gears make a humming noise as you described. Not all. But 50% of them do.

I vote for the "not set up right"and has the heal/toe incorrect. Depends on how long you have driven it and the gears have "set" you may not be able to adjust the whine out of it.

My rear gear wines hopewhen I push down on the gas and stops when I let up .My rear gear is a new 8 3/4 373 .It is in my 72 Demon with a 340 and a 904 transmission . thank you for any help Waco Demon

its apain in the ***,but pull the center section and look at the wear pattern.it will tell you how its set up.or take it back to the person who set it up.or run it as is and hope for the best

Backlash will have zero to do with whine. The pinion gear depth is not correct.

Backlash will have zero to do with whine. The pinion gear depth is not correct.

That's why I said check and make sure it isn't loosening up.
It can cause incorrect depth AND trash gears really quick.

Pull the gear set. Check your wear pattern. I've heard some cheap gears will whine even if they are set perfect.

Some gears are touchy on the setup. Your best bet is to not drive it anywhere but to the guy who set them up and have him go back through it. I but he doesn't have the pinion depth quite right and as mentioned if you drive it much he may never be able to get the whine out.

I live in TX and the person that built the up the rear gear is in Co .Dose any one in TX know a good rear gear man in central TX . Thank you Waco Demon

-
Back