Rear glass 74 Dart Sport

-

Michael Nelson

1974 Dart Sport 360 4 speed
Reaction score
I have a 74 dart sport(duster) and I'm literally about to blow a cork. How do you install the window. I can't find a video online of a duster. When I get close the bottom or top gap won't close then the gasket pops out when trying to push it tight and I have to restart. Do I glue it to the glass, to the car neither?

Is this an new gasket or aftermarket gasket?

I find the replacement gaskets sold today are not the best fitting. If you are reusing the old one - they stretch sometimes removing them. Not an easy job at all regardless of the gasket. NOS, aftermarket, used. Tough job. Good luck!
Syleng1

Is this an new gasket or aftermarket gasket?

I find the replacement gaskets sold today are not the best fitting. If you are reusing the old one - they stretch sometimes removing them. Not an easy job at all regardless of the gasket. NOS, aftermarket, used. Tough job. Good luck!
Syleng1
It's a new reproduction one.

What method are you using? Rope? Screwdrivers/putty knife? I use the rope method with the ends at the bottom. Get a strong but reasonably small diameter nylon rope. I generally install the gasket on the glass (no sealer), plant the bottom edge in the pinch weld, and then start pulling on the rope toward each lower corner making sure the gasket is seated properly. Carefully work the rope around each lower corner and start working evenly up the sides. It helps if you have an assistant to keep some slight inward pressure on the glass. Keep working your way up the sides and around the top corners working both sides equally. The last bit in the middle of the top should be easy. Finally, tap on the outside of the glass with a bare palm of your hand (no rings or other metal!) to make sure it's seated all the way in. As long as the glass is clean, a new gasket, and the pinch weld is in good shape, you shouldn't need a sealer. If the pinch weld is sketchy, use some non-hardening sealer in the pinch weld groove in the gasket before installation. Makes kind of a mess with the rope in there, but, better than trying to keep it on the pinch weld during installation. I you don't use a sealer, I like using liquid soap or some gritless hand cleaner (GoJo) to lube the rope and rubber to the installation process. I use a little WD40 if I use a sealer....tends to soften the sealer a bit, but, also helps you pull the rope out.

What method are you using? Rope? Screwdrivers/putty knife? I use the rope method with the ends at the bottom. Get a strong but reasonably small diameter nylon rope. I generally install the gasket on the glass (no sealer), plant the bottom edge in the pinch weld, and then start pulling on the rope toward each lower corner making sure the gasket is seated properly. Carefully work the rope around each lower corner and start working evenly up the sides. It helps if you have an assistant to keep some slight inward pressure on the glass. Keep working your way up the sides and around the top corners working both sides equally. The last bit in the middle of the top should be easy. Finally, tap on the outside of the glass with a bare palm of your hand (no rings or other metal!) to make sure it's seated all the way in. As long as the glass is clean, a new gasket, and the pinch weld is in good shape, you shouldn't need a sealer. If the pinch weld is sketchy, use some non-hardening sealer in the pinch weld groove in the gasket before installation. Makes kind of a mess with the rope in there, but, better than trying to keep it on the pinch weld during installation. I you don't use a sealer, I like using liquid soap or some gritless hand cleaner (GoJo) to lube the rope and rubber to the installation process. I use a little WD40 if I use a sealer....tends to soften the sealer a bit, but, also helps you pull the rope out.
I was able to get it in did it by myself and I will never do one again. A part of the gasket broke but I'll use some sealer and call it a day. Its a diy car not a show stopper.

-
Back