Rear leaf spring shackle issue

-

Howard1784

Reaction score
New SS springs were installed with Mancini racing's front hangers and new shackles. After installed, the lower RR shackle was pressed against the drop pan. I found here how to remedy that by raising the rear axle and using a pry bar to force it into compliance. Due to a trunk mounted battery, the exposed negative battery cable running under the drop pan was damaged. Fast forward, took the car to a show and parked after returning home. I just discovered that the same RR shackle did the same thing again; nearly severing the battery cable and pushed up the drop pan. Fortunately, its solid.
What can I do to stop this from happening again and any idea what's causing this?

Th old hanger is placed against the trunk where I had the issue. In other words, the bottom eye folded up against the sheet metal

20230718_094610.jpg

20230718_094504.jpg

Not being able to see everything, is the picture of the shackle at ride height, or lifted and the rear hanging? If it is at ride height, I don’t like how the shackle is straight up and down. The leaf spring part of the shackle should be back towards the rear bumper

Not being able to see everything, is the picture of the shackle at ride height, or lifted and the rear hanging? If it is at ride height, I don’t like how the shackle is straight up and down. The leaf spring part of the shackle should be back towards the rear bumper
This^^^^^ is correct. The leaf spring end of the shackle should be pointing slightly towards the rear of the car sitting on the ground. It should not be vertical, nor should it point toward the front. All of this is covered in depth in the Mopar Suspension Manual you should already have.

Thank you. I dont have a manual in my possession. Is it still possible to do this even though there is a locator pin? I have mancini front brackets and I'm thinking they should be loosened to allow the axle to go back?

Your problem starts with Mancini SS leaf springs. The passenger spring is bent opposite to the arch right before the shackle… I never trusted that so never used the set and bought Espo leaf springs. But I believe the Mancini SS springs to be made incorrectly and decided before I even attempted to install them to go another route. I bet the Eye to Eye dimension is shorter than it’s supposed to be to set you up with proper shackle angle… and therefore folding under the wrong way. I had this happen on a trailer that I built once, before I fully understood shackle angles, and since then always watch that closely and scrutinize all replacement suspension components.

-
Back