rear main on 383

-

racyroy1

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I'm helping a friend with his 383 rear main seal leak, we've done this twice with two different types of seals/silicone used on the rear seal retainer cap and both times it's leaked. For what i've read this is a big problem with this engine, the second time the leak was far less than the first time and as you might all guess it's getting frustrating.

So my question is, is there a "special seal or way to install this seal and retaining cap with out it leaking". I've done it both times in the car by lowering the crank by loosening the caps and sliding in a new one etc etc. I don't think in fact i'm pretty sure it isn't the actual seal but the side area between the retaining cap and block.

Give me all of your wisdom so that I may make this headache go away.

thanks
kevin

Hey guys:

I'm helping a friend with his 383 rear main seal leak, we've done this twice with two different types of seals/silicone used on the rear seal retainer cap and both times it's leaked. For what i've read this is a big problem with this engine, the second time the leak was far less than the first time and as you might all guess it's getting frustrating.

So my question is, is there a "special seal or way to install this seal and retaining cap with out it leaking". I've done it both times in the car by lowering the crank by loosening the caps and sliding in a new one etc etc. I don't think in fact i'm pretty sure it isn't the actual seal but the side area between the retaining cap and block.

Give me all of your wisdom so that I may make this headache go away.

thanks
kevin
When you do the seal again, do not slide the top half all the way around the crank leave it like at 2:00 and 8:00....clock it to match in the rear housing...shoot some good black rtv on both ends on the seal in the housing...now squirt generous amounts of rtv on the mating surfaces of the block...bottom and sides...now apply it to the bottom and sides of the seal housing...slide the housing in and bolt it down....now squirt some more rtv from the top of the cap into the sides of the seal housing until it squeezes out of the top and some may come out the sides...I find that permatex ultra black in the squirter can works the best..good luck

same problem but my seal retainer has 4 slots 2 on each side all seal kits i found only have 2 side seals is this special cap?

Are you using the lip type seal?
Is it in properly? Are the surfaces of the seal housing and the cblock totally grease and oil free? Any oil -even from your skin - can cause a leak there. I use brake clean to soak everything down, then let it air dry or blow it clean. I use the side seals for the housing, an Ultra Grey sealant on the side seals and mating surfaces. The last leak I had was 6 years ago and i put 1/2 the seal in backwards...lol
You may also want to try the rope seal. It's not as easy, and it is harder to turn the crank when it's in place, but they won't leak. Butyou still have to get the other areas totally clean and dry.

-
Back