call chrysler they use the same cranck and theyt doesnt seem to leak

on the first install I use a 1973 style seal it leaks and leaks bad
I switch to a 2003 5.9 seal it seem to be ok for a while
but now it leak ans when I say leak it leak really bad
every time I starte the engine and I shut it up after maybe 5 minutes
or get in high rpm and can make a 5'' mark on the asphalt

any help will be appreciate

Bob

The rear main should be the same for both. There's an early "rope" type, which is what I use because it never leaks, and there's a later lip type that can sometimes leak after a while. There are a couple minor differences but those are basically it. Are you certain the leak is the rar main? You also have a cam plug and several oil galley plugs in the bell area that will run down onto the bellhousing and drip.

yap
because all the rest is dry and I can see a drip of oil
under rear main when I shut the engine

Bob,
Did you put a little sealant on the ends of the seals before you installed the cap?

:)

Bob,
Did you put a little sealant on the ends of the seals before you installed the cap?

:)

X2 plus, you can install the new lip seal halves with their parting lines rotated about 15 - 20 degrees from the "normal" orientation. Moving the parting line of the seal has worked well for me over the years.

Silicone does not work with good with oil. And once sillycone has touched a surface; no chemical made will remove the residue.

If you're sure, I'd say it's leaking...lol. The only thing that makes leaks is usually grease or oil on the surfaces when you're install it. I like to say it has to be surgically clean, including no oil from your skin. Otherwise, it will leak, it's just a matter of time. So I would say get whatever lip seal you're comfortable with, clean and completely degrease everything that seal will touch including the groove it seats in and the seal itself, carefully rub a little grease on the lip surface where it hits the crank, and install with a couple small dabs of ultra grey silicone. If you do that successsfully, it shouldn't leak.

thanks to all of you

I will place the order with dvorak
and clean and clean and clean and dry every thing

hope this time it aint gonna leak AGAIN

-
Back