Rear Main Seal Question

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did I read on here before to put a small amount of sealer under the rear main cap when I torque it down? Will this affect the clearance or anything else?

Did I read on here before to put a small amount of sealer under the rear main cap when I torque it down? Will this affect the clearance or anything else?

Yes you did.

I saw the same thing. It seals the cap to the block to keep it from leaking. The oil pressure (because of the oil pump) is so high in that area that it will leak you don't use some sealant. That's what I read on here anyways. The motor I have has sealant around the main cap and block. I went out in the shop just to see if the engine builder had applied some mine.... there it was plain as day.

yes

Just in the process of finishing up a rebuild of a 383.

I put RTV under the mainseal. Additionally we put assy lube on the main seal itself to ensure a great seal.

My only issue was jammin in the "wicks" which were part of the Mopar perfromance seal kit. They were red rubber and were the most difficult part of the entire rebuild. Jet getting them in was a challange.

Those machined surfaces aren't nearly as smooth as they appear to the naked eye. A very light coat of sealant on the rear main cap mating surfaces will stop the oil leak and wont effect the torque or roundness.

I clean the block with Brake Parts Cleaner and fresh paper towels. Then I use a thin film of sealant between the cap and block. I have had great luck doing it that way. And like someone said above, the lip of the seal needs a little oil so it doesn't burn up when the engine is first started. Lip faces in, I know its obvious, but its easy to put it in wrong, then its a major pain to correct later.

340sFastback: Nothing like a reminder to help a fellow out. I don't want to have to do it twice. Thanks Guys for all the good info.

-
Back