Rear quarter window issues

-

clinteg

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed until now that my passenger side rear quarter window does not roll up into the groove on the upper weatherstripping seal. It sits outboard too far and has started to curl the weatherstripping over. This is mostly noticeable at the rear corner. The window itself is also very hard to roll up from the bottom position. What is the best way to fix the alignment problem and sticky window? I've never messed with the window mechanisms before.

Also, what is the chrome moulding piece that runs along the top inside of the rear quarter just outside the rear quarter window glass? It looks like it probably had felt on it at one point. Mine looks pretty beat up and also appears to be falling off. Where can one get these and how hard are they to change out?

No one have any experience with the window regulators at all???

Yea, me.
The nylon rollers, or whatever yours uses are probably trashed and broke up into peices letting the glass get out of place.
Can you easily push it over into place when you roll it up, or not?
I had to replace the rollers in mine because of that.
Let me know if you need help finding the parts.
I got mine in the Help section of Autozone for WAY cheaper than online.
I've made some for the front windows that are adjustable so I can adjust exactly where the window seats into the seals.

No one have any experience with the window regulators at all???

There are adjustments inside the regulator area-- also stops-- these move the glass in/out & stop it up/down. Not sure how much different your car is from a ragtop-- I have a 69 manual you can borrow-- I'M on the West side of town 67209.
Lawrence

I haven't had to adjust mine since I put them.

I will take a swag at how to adjust from memory.

1) take out rear seat.
2) remove side panels
3) remove upper fascia. (piece that the panel is directly under)
4) when all is removed inspect the rollers. (this is a very common reason for misalignment and trouble with the mechanism.)
5) if all seems well then the center bar that holds the regulator has a bolt which allows some adjustment. ( a little movement goes a long way.)

I don't know if it will help but I also have a section in by build below that goes through the installation of the quarter windows.

and yes that chrome piece should have felt on it. the piece clips in and I believe might have a screw towards the door. Any classic car parts place should have them.. I think that I got mine from Dante's Mopar don't remember. The are simply called side glass weatherstripping.

Hope that this helps out in some manner.

OK that helps. The window does not move inward easily, at least at the back. The front portion seems a little clanky and loose but it sounds like I need to find the adjustment screws or whatever and see if I can't get the glass to come inward more at the back and tighten it up at the front. I'm sure none of the parts are in stellar shape either so planning on some parts replacements. I'll check out Dante's for the glass weatherstripping. I don't have a manual or anything so I'm definitely struggling with the correct terminology to find some of these parts. Thanks guys!

VDART, if I get stuck along the way, I may take you up on that manual.

The windows dont simply loose there alignment. If you replace the worn out rollers first there may not be any adjusting needed.

I agree with redfish..

Also here is a link to the beltline weather stripping that you need.. Don't know if I can post it (don't want to get in trouble.)

www.steelerubber.com

the part number for the whole set is 81-0007-57 if all you need is the outers then the part number is 80-0124-57.

I remember now that this is where I got mine as well as all the other rubber for the car.. Didn't remember it cost that much but been a long time. They are really high quality and fit perfectly..

Good luck with 1/4 windows..

Since putting my Duster back on the road last year, I've had the same issue with my rear qtr. windows. When I went out to clean them a while ago, I had a look at fixing them up a bit.
I pulled out the spring clip that's held in with the phillips screw at the hinge, and worked it a bit. I flattened out the back end (behind the screw hole) and closed in the rounded section a bit.
The windows feel a lot better now- they close more firmly, and they actually stay out when I open them. I can still push them closed, but they're a lot better than they were.

edit- drove around for a while, windows stayed exactly where I put 'em.

-
Back