Rear seal

-

64cudaV8

Reaction score
How can I tell which seal I need. I have the stock 64 barracuda 4 speed. The rear seal where the bolted shaft goes in looks to be leaking. Is it an easy replacement?

Are all the seals the same? Or are there different kinds? Sizes etc..

It's unclear to me exactly which seal you're talking about.

The rear seal that keeps the bolt in u-joint shaft from leaking.

Ok to be more clear its the seal for this part.

Attachments

• UJF-A.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 194
This joint is referred to as a companion flange. It was replaced by a universal joint in production years, later on.

Do you need the oil seal at the tailshaft housing, that the companion flange slides into? Or are you looking for a grease boot to fit outside of the companion flange, that goes over it to the driveshaft?

As far as I know, nobody makes that boot, that I am aware of. What people are doing, or that I have seen done, is used a CV boot repair kit, that has a metal flange inside the boot, with bolt holes that allow you to put the boot around something in place and bolt the two halves of the rubber together, around it.

This would be a parts store run with a tape measure, type of gig. Try Car Quest or Napa.

If you need the tailshaft housing to companion flange/ universal joint yoke oil seal, the parts store may also have one. If not, this is the part;

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PS515

That's the one Dave You have listed from brewers. I found it from year one. Is it a pretty straight forward install?

Yeah.

Its just a pry and bend out the old one, get the drift/ socket or pipe and hammer the new one in deal. Ten to fifteen minute job.

Just so you know, they are all the same on all 4 speeds.

-
Back