Rear Seat reinstall help for Grandpa's 62 Valiant...

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
upload_2020-6-15_16-17-39.png

Got the seat belts done, but having a heck of a time getting seat replaced correctly in the brackets...any help out there?

Wow, that looks nice. I don't know, I am always appalled by how violent you have to be to get the rear bottom cushion out or get it back in. Maybe it was easy for some UAW guy in Hamtramck back in the day, but after 60-odd years of work-hardening it seems really difficult to compress the steel spring frame. I am afraid to hit it that hard because if I miss the hidden frame I could punch through the vinyl. Basically, you have to slam it back and down, bruising the heck out of your palms if you are like me.

Wow, that looks nice. I don't know, I am always appalled by how violent you have to be to get the rear bottom cushion out or get it back in. Maybe it was easy for some UAW guy in Hamtramck back in the day, but after 60-odd years of work-hardening it seems really difficult to compress the steel spring frame. I am afraid to hit it that hard because if I miss the hidden frame I could punch through the vinyl. Basically, you have to slam it back and down, bruising the heck out of your palms if you are like me.
Thanks...Will persevere!

I just put my back seat in my 65 yesterday. I found that the seat back was too low. Loosen off the brackets at the bottom and pull the to up as far as it will go. then try again. It will still be a job but that made it easier for mine.

I just put my back seat in my 65 yesterday. I found that the seat back was too low. Loosen off the brackets at the bottom and pull the to up as far as it will go. then try again. It will still be a job but that made it easier for mine.
OK...thanks.

I put a small block of 2x4 on the seat and used a hydraulic bottle jack to push the seat back to get past the hook.

Thanks!

My method is to pop one side out first. popping the second side requires more pressure probobly because the seat is now out of alignment. install is the same. Get one side on the bracket, and remember how you pushed,pulled it on. the other side will need more effort. after x number of minutes, hours, countless curses, you'll pop it in. IMPORTANT;Before starting make sure you have a cold six pack in the fridge. Nothing worse than finishing a tough job and finding only warm/no beer. There may be an easier way, but I haven't found it.

My method is to pop one side out first. popping the second side requires more pressure probobly because the seat is now out of alignment. install is the same. Get one side on the bracket, and remember how you pushed,pulled it on. the other side will need more effort. after x number of minutes, hours, countless curses, you'll pop it in. IMPORTANT;Before starting make sure you have a cold six pack in the fridge. Nothing worse than finishing a tough job and finding only warm/no beer. There may be an easier way, but I haven't found it.
LOL!! Thanks! Got the beer ready...:lol:

-
Back