Rear shock mounts 69 Dart

-

Bob1958

Reaction score
Anyone know if the rear shock mounts are sturdy enough to use as coil over mounts? I am building a triangulated 4 link. Was wondering if I need to install a bar to hang the coil overs or if I could possibly use the stock shock mounts?
Bob

I'm no engineer but shocks are not structural they are just shocks, not designed to hold up a car. Others may know better.

Alan

Nope, nope, nope. The shock mounts are just adequate for shocks, no way I'd mount coilovers to them.

I bought quite a few A-Body's that had coil over shocks on them with no issues. A couple of them had the shock bolts welded on the back side...

I bought quite a few A-Body's that had coil over shocks on them with no issues. A couple of them had the shock bolts welded on the back side...
Yeah, the booster/overload shocks are common, and no worse than air shocks; but I'd never mount the coilovers for a 4-link setup to them...

Yeah, the booster/overload shocks are common, and no worse than air shocks; but I'd never mount the coilovers for a 4-link setup to them...
Thanks for the info I’ll use a bar across the frame!

How much does the back of you car weigh ? On a wheelie how much weight is on the shock mount ? So you don't think a shock mount will hold 1500 lbs.
How about the 4 3/8 bolts that hold your big block to your motor stand. The 4 shock mounts wont hold twice the weight

-
Back