Rear Shock Won't Mount to Shock Mount

-

gradedcatfood

1972 Plymouth Duster 440
Reaction score
My car has originally a 7 1/4 rear end (72 duster) but I replaced it with a shortened ford 8.8 rear end. I bought the 8 3/4 rear shock mounts from Mancini, enlarged the holes a little bit so that the 3.25 wide u bolts would fit over the axle housing and into the shock mounts.

When I tried to actually mount the shock to the shock mount, it wont fit. The angle at what the shock is at seems to be too extreme for the shock to slide onto it. I have tried jacking on the shock to try to get a more straight on angle but still no luck.

Anyone have an secrets on how to mount rear shocks? Or am I doing something wrong?

Photos are somewhat demonstrative (the u bolts aren't all the way tight). the u bolts were actually tight when I attempted to mount the shocks.

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

it's been a while but I do remember this being a PITA even with stock components.. IIRC (and it's possible that I don't) you need to get the shock on the bottom mount about half way (so the threads can be seen but are not past the bushing) and then work on the top - (that mount should be a little loose to the inside) - a little lube will help - even just a drop of oil - then alternate between the top and bottom mount - - it'll go, it's just not the most fun you will ever have working on your car.
Compress, press, squeeze, push, even rubber mallet (on the bushings)... whatever it takes.

I have modified many shock mounts on many rear ends. The best way to do it is to let the shock hang free from the upper mount then cut/heat/bend the lower mount stud bracket until the shock slips on nice and smooth. I have sometimes "cut" a slot in the bracket (spring plate) so that I could bend the portion that holds the shock stud then when I get it just right I would re-weld the cut . Maybe someone has an easier way??

treblig

have you tried getting the car on frame stands and letting the suspension hang - then adjusting it up to the shock with a floor jack?

Turns out the previous owner had the shock mount pointing in the wrong direction (the stub where the shock mounts was pointing to towards the other door). I didn't know any better so I tried the same thing and ran into all sorts of problems. Turned the shock mount the correct direction (stub pointing towards the rear of the car) and the shock slide on after I jacked up the axle housing a little bit.

Thanks everyone, turns out I'm just an idiot :p

IMG_4245.JPG

-
Back