Rear shocks? Air or coil over?

-

ryanwblandon

Reaction score
I'm having to buy new rear shocks for my 74 Duster. My old Krusty air shocks finally blew out. I liked the fact that I could pumped them up to get some more height in the rear and has me wanting to buy air again But I see the Monroe sensatrac with coil overs has me wondering if I can get the height without the air shocks.

Has anyone tried the coil overs and gotten some added height? And what do you prefer?

coil overs are a bad ideal inless you stiffin up you cross member . I ripped mine outa a coronet with coil overs ....

as the doc said mopar shock mounts were never designed to hold weight, just for the shock.

what you need to do is put new shocks on it along with springs

The car is not designed for either, actually and can have the failure Asa describes with either the air shocks or the coil overs. New leaf springs are not much more than a new pair of air shocks.

Thats a nice looking car. Does your car generally sag in the rear?

There are threads here about adding a leaf which appear very successful. I am sure some object due to the less than scientific predictability of the spring rate and height change with the added leaf. ( The add leaf I believe was pulled from an A body on one thread and a dakota on another thread) If I were going low budget, I would add a leaf on each side and some good quality regular shocks.

I would go with a "add a leaf" from some place like this...

Rusty's Offroad

The spring kit is $59, and you can get new U bolts and shocks anywhere.

I'm changing all of mine except for the main leaf, and the others will come from a Dakota/Durango there the same,

Both are real harsh on the car. Just say "no" to Air shocks. Coil overs aren't as bad, but I would go with new springs and shocks.

-
Back