Rear shoulder belts in Duster?

-

mopar56

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put rear shoulder belts in a Duster? My grandkids will be rolling around in my son's 70 Duster thus summer and would like something safer than lap belts.

If you do you'll have to construct an anchor point in the inner structure of the car. The extra point of contact doesn't do you any good unless it's as strong as the other two. Fortunately the C-pillar has some decent structure to it to begin with, but you'll need an anchor plate behind something solid in order to even attempt it. Otherwise it will be LESS safe.

If you do you'll have to construct an anchor point in the inner structure of the car. The extra point of contact doesn't do you any good unless it's as strong as the other two. Fortunately the C-pillar has some decent structure to it to begin with, but you'll need an anchor plate behind something solid in order to even attempt it. Otherwise it will be LESS safe.

Right behind the top edge of the rear seat back might be better, but it would require an adjustment point in the belt instead of using retractables.

The easiest way would be to mount the 74-up retractable front setup behind the seat and feed the shoulder portion through the package tray.
There should already be a slot there for a rear retractable belt set that never actually saw production.
I have that whole setup in black if you want to try it.

I've got a set that are going into my Swinger project. They go thru a slot in the package tray and have a steel Dogbone that holds them in place. A rubber/plastic boot trims out the setup . I will try to take a pic of them to post soon. I will have to move some Swinger fenders and hood to get to them.

BTW all of this will depend on if your car has a fold down seat or not....IIRC

They were available as factory equipment.... mine are factory from a 69 Charger R/T SE

Thanks for all the answers I am surprised to here they were even a thought back then so no this Duster dint have the fold down seat his 74 he had did what is involved in putting them in and Tony the ones you have what do they weigh? Cause I am a long way from you in Canada

Thanks for all the answers I am surprised to here they were even a thought back then so no this Duster dint have the fold down seat his 74 he had did what is involved in putting them in and Tony the ones you have what do they weigh? Cause I am a long way from you in Canada
They are pretty heavy, but would fit in aa medium Flat Rate box, so shipping would be something like $45.
I could do the whole setup for $100 plus the shipping

your 74 might have threaded bolt anchors on C-Pillar. If not you will see 2 slots about 3"s long and 3/4" wide on the outer edges of the package tray about 3" from the front edge if you look from the underside in the trunk.

I dont see why a guy couldnt duplicate these with a long section of seatbelt. Just sew a loop in the end and make a dogbone out of 1/2" steel shank about 3" long.

your 74 might have threaded bolt anchors on C-Pillar. If not you will see 2 slots about 3"s long and 3/4" wide on the outer edges of the package tray about 3" from the front edge if you look from the underside in the trunk.

I dont see why a guy couldnt duplicate these with a long section of seatbelt. Just sew a loop in the end and make a dogbone out of 1/2" steel shank about 3" long.
Yes, these have an anchor point at the C Pillar, and that anchor point could actually be bolted to the rear inner wheel house, and then fed through the package tray.
The bottom part could bolt right to.the stock Duster outer rear belt mounts.
It looks like a natural to me

I just went outside to look in the trunk of one of my cars, just to check how it may fit...
The rear shock mounts would be the perfect mounting point for the part normally hung from the C pillar

Hey Tony what exactly dose this set up include you have? Is it just what us needed for the folding seat or the seat belts to? Also could I use the original seat?

The setup I have is the entire front belt set from a 74 Dart.
It's the first year for retractable shoulder belts, so it incorporates everything in one shot.
And yes, you could mount this to the original back seat pretty much exactly how it would be mounted to the front of the donor car. The only thing you would need to improvise is the trunk anchor point.

20170315_194835.jpg
20170315_194829.jpg
20170315_195341.jpg
20170315_195414.jpg

Thats my 69 Swinger...

Apperently I have a seatbelt fettish...lol
Nice set of 70-74 in black....

Ive been looking for these visor clips
20170315_195635.jpg
20170315_195635.jpg

OK Tony I get what your saying now and mbaird are those actually rear belts or front ones made to fit like Tony said? I am a little confused but they look like there factory fir an a body is that possible and yours us the fold down read seat right?

They are the real deal... not original to the Swinger but would be identical.

My car is a Swinger so no fold down seat.

That shot was from the back . I have the glass out for the restoration. BTW

Ok thanks guys, sorry I dropped off there something came up then it got late, I think I need to go take a good look at this and figure out anchor points etc to get my head around this first, I want to use oem stuff of course so this will be correct and safe.

Ok so I had a good look at the car, I am trying to figure out how the factory belts work, ( thanks for the photos ) most shoulder belts work on a continuous loop leaving the base then up through the loop in the upper shoulder anchor then down to the buckle so how dose the factory style work?, the seat belt has to terminate behind the parcel shelf with the dog bone as an anchor then how can it AND the lap belt both terminate at the buckle?, also If I were to use front belts like WPON suggested would I then use the original anchor point for the base and just mount the upper anchor exactly where, you suggested the shock tower.

-
Back