rear spring bushing question for P-S-T

-

Gen2Cudas

Reaction score
James,

I am going to need to buy from you a complete front suspension rebuild kit, including the one-off idler arm, for a '67 Plymouth Barracuda. As it is a /6 'vert, I would like to replace my bushings with rubber for a smoother ride. I bought a complete set from PST of the polygraphite way back in '93 or so for my fastback (yea I got two to wrench on), and frankly it makes the ride pretty harsh.

In any case, I can't seem to find any rubber bushings on your website for the spring eyes. Car is equipped with the original springs with 2 inch front eyes and 1 inch (or so, hard to measure on the car) rear eyes. Do you still offer any rubber bushings for that end?

Another question: the after market front sway bar kit I bought for the fastback from PST back then is unbelievably stiff (and heavy)- after a couple of years of driving, it quite literally crushed the rubber end links and the aluminum spacers to the point that they no longer provided any bar deflection on suspension movement during cornering. I was wondering if the hollow sway bar your company is offering might be less stiff? I never got around to putting on the rear sway I bought back then; still have it hanging on the wall. . .

The FB has been rebuilt with new sheet metal, frame straightening and frame ties. I intend to keep using the poly bushings (will buy new upper eccentric bushings for the '73 disk set up going in before too long. . . or maybe the tubular A arm if I can afford it. . .) and intend to reattach a front sway bar to that set up for cornering. I think I will leave off the rear- overkill, from what I have been reading.

Will have to buy for the 'vert first so she is safe to drive- and will have to spread out the buying too a bit- too big a bite, and the wifey starts groaning :wink:.

I looked all over the net- and P-S-T still has the better deals, with more Made-In-USA stuff offered. That's important to me too.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Yes we do have available the leaf spring bushing set in rubber, but I have to check on the price. I will have an answer for you on Monday on the cost. As for the hollow sway bar it will have about the same stiffness as the solid. The main difference in the weight savings factor. What is the size of the sway bar that you previously bought from us?

Thanks
James

Not home to measure it now, but seems like 1.125" possibly larger. Over an inch anyway. Solid steel and painted light blue if that helps ;-). Crazy stiff- it split the rubber isolator/biscuits and crushed the metal tubing used to locate them on the links.

Mike,

I got a price on the rear leaf spring bushing set in Rubber. The kit would be $138,that would include the front main eye bushing and rear shackle bushings now our polygraphite set is $49.As for the sway bar are you sure you got it from us? I spoke with the general manger that was here in 1993 and he said that all of our bars were black never blue ?

Thanks
James

Thanks for the reply James- at least I know that the rubber ones exist. The price makes the case for the poly spring eyes, as does the ease of re-installation, doesn't it? Still, I wonder both about the ride quality- and the energy transfer to old steel- that stuff just doesn't give much at all.

I think I'll try to take a couple of pics of the sway bars and hardware for ya- I seem to remember getting them from PST along with the complete front and rear rebuild kits with polygraphite, but could be mistaken. Some of the installation directions may have survived, so I will look there. That front sway was a rather rough piece anyway and did not fit all that well- took some fabbing to make mount points for it- and the ends were simply stamped flat, sharp cornered and thick, with a hole drilled through for the end links to grip. The rear one was better finished, gold anodized color; never hung it after the problems with the front one. . .

Morning James. Here is a pic of the sway bar kit- couldn't find the directions so far to look for a name, but I'll keep looking:

:wack:

Attachments

• Christmas 2012 progress 093.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Christmas 2012 progress 092.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Christmas 2012 progress 096.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Christmas 2012 progress 094.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Christmas 2012 progress 095.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 193
  • Christmas 2012 progress 097.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Christmas 2012 progress 098.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 168
Didn't realize until I uploaded them that they would come out somewhat blurry. Last one is a piece fabbed to make the front sway bar attachment correct for my K-frame. Hope that I can use the same points on the hollow one- that was a one-off for the big blue bar.

-
Back