Rear spring/shock mount

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, to fit larger tires on the back of my Dart, I relocated the axle back 1 inch on the springs. I didn't do anything about the shocks, and now that I am restoring the car, I figured out why I went through so many shocks. I think I need to move the shock mount on the mounting plate forward 1 inch to compensate. My question is how thick should I make a new mounting plate and shock mount. The factory piece is kind of thin, but it is bent, and has form to it which gives it strength. I figure I need to have something fabricated out of flat steel and have another flat plate welded to that that allows me to mount the shock. I think 3/8" inch plate would work, but I am no engineer and wonder if it should be made out of half-inch. I don't want it too big, but I want it safe. What do you all think?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas,
Rod. :burnout:

3/8" will be PLENTY and very probably a bit of overkill. I would use the thinner material and weld in 2 reinforcing triangles.

Are you using somewhat 'standard' shocks or something speical (i.e., stiffer shock rate)?

Hotchkis Shocks & Springs. I just started doing the body panel replacement phase, and this is my 1st go at anything this involved, so it will be quite some time before I am actually driving it, but I am trying to think of as much stuff as I go. Right now I am working the trunk floor, which is connected to the spring hangers. I am thinking of moving the springs inward a bit, which led me to the alignment of the axle etc.

-
Back