Rear Spring Swap

-

2 Darts

A-body Addicted
Reaction score
Not long after I got the '73 home, I noticed that the rear sat low. I checked the front end to make sure it wasn't set high. No such luck. My car had a droopy butt. I used photo tricks to minimize the condition when shooting the car. Examing the rear springs revealed the onset of a reverse curve in the back part of the spring on each rear corner.

The rear springs on the A-body are 55" long and are asymetrically attached to the axle with the longer part to the rear of the axle. The spring locates the axle and suspends the body. The leaf spring as installed by Mopar is a simple, primitive, yet effective device for its intended use.

Like others here at FABO, I looked around for alternatives for solving my car's condition. Some suggestions were to install a helper spring or air shocks. Either would cure the condition. However, on the basis of firsthand experience, I ruled them out. Both raise the rear spring rate making the car ride stiffer and promote increased understeer. With a /6 and 904, there isn't power to burn for kicking the tail out.

I shopped around for a set of springs that would give me a close to stock ride height and spring rate. Following the recommendation from either FABO or /6.org, I settled on a set from McVeigh springs. In the photo you can see a tired old spring next to a new one. Note the difference in the arc of the spring.

One of the negatives I've heard about swapping springs is that you have to remove the rear axle to do so. WRONG! By taking a systematic approach, the springs can be replaced without removing the axle or the tires.

Tools needed: Socket set, with breaker bar (and maybe a cheater bar); a can of rust penetrant, jack stand, tire iron or jack handle, jack.

Optional: Something to lay on while you're underneath the car. Also check your socket to see if it will fit over the axle clip nuts and still let you get a wrench head on it. If not you'll need a deep well socket. If you want to keep the shocks out of the way, you'll want a bungy cord or coat hanger.

This is a good time to inspect the axle clips. (That's Mopar parts manual speak for the U-bolts that clamp the axle, spring, and shock mount together.) If the ends of the bolts are bent, have damaged or badly rusted threads, there is a good chance they will be broken during removal. Have no fear. Although they are available from Mopar, at a premium, they are also at O'Reilly's ..etc. The big visual differences are the Mopar stuff looks exactly like what's coming off, less years of dust, rust, and abuse. The bolts I found in the HELP! section are gold irridite treated. Appearance didn't matter, so I went with the cheap stuff. They had them for 2.75 and 3.00 axle tubes.

Oh yeah. You'll definitely want the springs on hand. When you purchase, I suggest asking the vendor if past purchasers have needed to re-set the pinion angle with their installations. If so, you'll need wedges and tools necessary to set it. FWIW, mine did not need to be wedged.

Let the car cool down. Spray the rear shackle bolts, lower shock absorber bolts, clip nuts, and the bolt at the front of each of the springs with rust penetrant. Let it set over night so the penetrant can do its thing.

Pentrant spray areas shown below:

First thing to do is to remove the lower end of the shock absorber from its mount. Suggest using a coat hanger or bungee cord to move it out of the way.

Loosen this nut. It secures the bolt that holds the front of the spring to the body. If you can get it all the way off, fine.

Loosen the nuts on the spring shackle. If your shackles are installed like, these, go ahead and remove the end plates from the shackle.

Now is the time to break out the jack and jackstand. The goal is to lift the car to the point where the spring is fully extended (which is why the shock had to be disconnected), but the weight of the axle is being carried by the tire.

It should look something like this. Note the roundness of the tire. A radial, in particular, has a long foot print. It does not have to be exact.

Now comes the hard part, taking off the spring plate clip nuts. The factory ones on my Dart were long enough to require the use of a deep well socket. They all required my breaker bar, a 4 foot cheater bar, and a ton of patience. (I broke two of mine off too short to re-use.)

If you were able to get the end plate off of the rear shackle, you can wiggle the spring off the back at this point. If not, you'll have to remove the rear spring mount. There are four bolts that hold it in place. Pay attention to the way it comes off. The bolts are not in a square pattern.

The front mount is the same way. Remove all four bolts.

At this point the spring should be on the ground. Remove the front spring bolt and mount from the old spring. Install the front spring mount to the spring. If you're using an old spring, this might be a good time to replace the front bushing. I have yet to see a new spring that did not have a new front bushing.

However, I have seen springs that did not come with new rear bushings. And, I have seen shackles that did come with new rear bushings. All of the bushings I have seen have been two pieces per shackle bolt. The push into the spring eye from either side.

Reverse the process and you're done on one side.

There have been a couple of questions regarding the angle of the shackle.
  1. This is a soft spring and it begins to deflect with any load put on it.
  2. Because Mopar used asymetrical springs, most of the spring deflection occurs towards the rear of the vehicle.
  3. I did the work in a parking lot and took the pictures afterwards. Consequently the trunk is full of tools and junk (lol). Without the load, it does sit a bit more vertical.
Thanks for the comments guys. My next task is the BBP disk brake swap. Once that is finished and I have a matched set of wheels on the car, I'll pose it for the "after" shot to show the results of the spring replacement.

IMG_5604s.JPG

1 spring small.jpg

2 shock mount small.JPG

5 front bolt.JPG

4 shackle all.JPG

2a shock bolt small.JPG

5 front bolt.JPG

4 shackle all.JPG

7 Lift.JPG

2 shock mount small.JPG

6 front mount.JPG

By the looks of your rear hangers(pushed towards the rear of car)your springs are to long.The hangers should be straight up and down or abit forward.Just my opinion.Nice write up.:read2:

The pic showing the rear shackles, 2nd to last, is it taken w/the new springs or old ones? Under load or not? Way too far towards the rear. Springs look too long????

i have the mcveighs springs also. great stuff, you;ll be happy. i got their version of the superstock and i'm very pleased.

Great write-up. I need to do the same to my car. Still trying to figure out what springs I want to use and where to get them from.

Great write-up. I need to do the same to my car. Still trying to figure out what springs I want to use and where to get them from.

I used the same place to my springs as this post. Mcveighs Truck Springs in ohio. found them on ebay. i got the super stock style and it really is a great ride and a great stance. The place is affordable and super quick. all around great guys.

The first photo is pretty much right after i put them on. they took a little bit to settle down and they have been like in the second photo for about 2 years now. The wheel well is right above the rim.

http://www.mcveighstrucksprings.com/

dart2.jpg

dart1.jpg

Sorry to hijack, great thread, looking to do the same in the very near future on my 69 barracuda ragtop. the springs and rearend are out of the car while other work is being done, I noticed I need new rear shackles and bushings, and may as well look at new springs too...any suggestions?? FWIW, its an "S" car, so has HD supension.

Thanks
4spd

Sorry to hijack, great thread, looking to do the same in the very near future on my 69 barracuda ragtop. the springs and rearend are out of the car while other work is being done, I noticed I need new rear shackles and bushings, and may as well look at new springs too...any suggestions?? FWIW, its an "S" car, so has HD supension.

Thanks
4spd

I used McVeigh, as have others, and am pleased with price, product, and service. Their springs come with new front and rear bushings. The shackle I used came from Rock Auto. I had to replace the shackles because a PO thought it would be kewl to jack up the rear with extended shackles. (By the time I got the car it wasn't working so well.) The original shackles were disposed of long before I got the car.

Loosen this nut. It secures the bolt that holds the front of the spring to the body. If you can get it all the way off, fine.

Are these commonly fused to the bracket?

I could not get this off for the life of me... had to take the leaf w/ bracket attached to a buddy's house w/ an impact gun... even after the bolt was out the nut would not come off of the bracket - smacked it a few times with a 5# hammer.

Are these commonly fused to the bracket?

I could not get this off for the life of me... had to take the leaf w/ bracket attached to a buddy's house w/ an impact gun... even after the bolt was out the nut would not come off of the bracket - smacked it a few times with a 5# hammer.

Yes, for just about any suspension part that isn't greased. That's why I recommend saturating everything with a good penetrating oil. (I like Kroil.) I think I've used a box end wrench and a floor jack to loosen one of those rascals before. Set the wrench on the nut and try to lift the car by the other end of the wrench. I also recommend loosening the nut before removing the front spring bracket. At least you have the car to use as leverage.

Ok, what's the pay-off in a spring swap. 7374 showed us his. I've finally got decent before and after pix of mine. The photos are a little deceptive as I swapped wheels as well as the springs. The before photo has 14" wheels with covers that do not come all the way out to the edge of the rim. The after photo has 15" chrome road wheels. Also, the before photo has an empty trunk and extended spring shackles with the spring set in the upper bolt hole. The after photo has about 150 lbs of tools and parts in the back end and a stock rear shackle.

IMG_5050b.JPG

IMG_5050nr.JPG

-
Back