Rear Springs - Which Ones Should I Buy?

-
Thanks Mattax for the caution. Don't know what "tail happy" means exactly but it doesn't sound good. Here are pics of the stance currently:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 234
Uploaded pics and then the disappeared again so apologies if everything ends up double. The current stance:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 235
I think the +2 would fit the bill. That does sit a bit low, of course the springs are wore out.

New springs should revive it.

A pair of new leafsprings will raise the rear end of the car right back up to stock height.
IMO there's no need to 'extra' 1 or 2" raised leafsprings. This might make the car look silly and doesn't improve the ride-quality at all.

^^^^

Final answer....Stock replacements are all you will need. Unless your going for the Joe Dirt look. :)

Pair them up with a new set of Monroe or KYB shocks all around, and your rolling.

I think the +2 would fit the bill. That does sit a bit low, of course the springs are wore out.

New springs should revive it.
I agree. New springs alone might add back +2.

Don't know what "tail happy" means exactly but it doesn't sound good.
My apologies, in retrospect, that term is probably used more by the sports car enthusiast. It's when the back wheels of the car start to slide left or right. Depending on the situatution, the car might fish tail (back of the car swings back and forth) and/or spin. This will happen only when side to side traction gets marginal such as a combination of high speed, curves, rain, sleet, ice, etc.

Automobile manufacturers always try to set up street driven cars to loose traction in the front first. In this arrangement, the car plows forward even though the front wheels are turned. This is less scary and generally less damaging. It's also easier to get back under control - straightening the wheels and gently slowing the car down will get the front tires to bite again. In contrast, when the back starts fishtailing, its very hard to regain control even if there is lots of room.

There's a bunch of factors that effect whether a car will plow or fishtail, but in general adding stiffness or removing weight from the back will make it more likely to fishtail. Raising the rear can be useful for drag race launch if done right. That is probably where the popularity of the look comes from. It is usually not helpful for right/left handling.

^^^^

Final answer....Stock replacements are all you will need. Unless your going for the Joe Dirt look. :)

Pair them up with a new set of Monroe or KYB shocks all around, and your rolling.

Stock height springs, you will be happy, your Dart will sit like it did when it was new. And the handling will be as it was designed to be too.

re: Shocks:I can't recommend KYBs for anyone but the most desperate and cash strapped handling enthusiast. The high frequency damping is almost always a bad match even though the low frequency is OK for those wanting stiffer. Shocks rarely go 'sort of' bad and easy enough to check.

Tail happy vs. Plow:
Example of Tail too stiff for the situation is the lead '69 Barracuda in this 1970 race.
70_nogaro.jpg

Of course racing back then was on bias ply race tires which can hang on amazingly well after grip has maxed out. Don't expect to do that on the street.

The Hemicuda here seems to have had some plow during a 1972 hill climb.
sarrazinbeaujolais72.jpg

image source:Mopar owners club France
http://www.mopar-owners-club.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=66&Itemid=9

Thanks Mattax & everyone else for your help! Really appreciate it. I'll check out stock springs. I'm consulting a Spring mechanic this week. Great info on being "tail happy". Quarter of the year I live on top of a steep hill in Kentucky so definitely don't want my Dart doing that!

^^^^

I am a little bit superficial. This is really the height I want. Do you think this is +2 inches?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 18.45.35.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 236
I think a little higher I the rear is a great look, and 4 new shocks are also a good thing to upgrade while at it.

Mattax, which shocks would you then recommend?
If they are not broke, don't fix.
I diss'd the KYB's because like many products they are promoted as a bolt-on upgrade for better handling. Truth is they have more damping, but its not well calibrated for most.

I don't know Monroe or Gabriel product lines. They basically sell serviceable replacement shocks. It's been years since I've needed to buy a basic shock. I can't imagine you would go too wrong with any of their shocks, nor do I believe they would perform noticbly better than what is on the car unless something is worn or leaking. If you can't tell while driving, a
quick crude check is to bounce each corner of the car to if the movement is damped out or it keeps bouncing.

For the person really into spirited/sporty driving, then it may be worth looking at shocks that probably can deliver - especially when matched with some other components. In the bolt-on catagory that would include Bilsteins sold by Firmfeel and maybe the Fox from Hotchkiss.

If you really want rake, but just for the look, not sure I can help. But I will say, especially in your position, its probably better doing it by dropping the front hieght a little by cranking the off the torsion bar adjusters. Also, the front can be raised back relatively easily. No parts needed. Slight alighnment adjusted worth doing. That's it. Remember, all modifications have consequences. If you like hot rodding, that's cool, but don't be too surprised if something breaks or doesn't work out as intended. It takes a while to learn enough to filter the majority of the chaf from the wheat. If you do use a high arch spring set, then check pinion angle, shackle angle and shock length. Also stay aware of the effect of raising the rear roll center on your kentucky downhills.

^^ and larger diameter rear tires. I could do the spring swap much more reasonably than $600 lol if you are ever downstate. I will be swapping the set on my wife's duster when the new rear end goes in.

More helpfully:

Your car looks great. Nice and clean. Stock or +1 is perfect. Beyond that you'll not like the way it will drive. If you need socks, Bilsteins are great and a nice upgrade. I hear the Fox are great too, but anything will be an upgrade to blown or bad air shocks.

Your car looks great. Nice and clean. Stock or +1 is perfect. Beyond that you'll not like the way it will drive. If you need socks, Bilsteins are great and a nice upgrade. I hear the Fox are great too, but anything will be an upgrade to blown or bad air shocks.

Thanks Dano! It certainly looks good from the outside. It seems everything deeper than skin is a bit messed up though. *sigh*

And thanks Mattax for helpful shock info! I've written it all down in a brand new "Dart" notebook I bought (my head can't be trusted to retain all of it).

-
Back