Rear Sump Oil Pan Question?

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
I just bought a Motor from someone that had it built by Hensley Performance for his Lil Red Express Truck. Since it was built for a Truck, It has Rear Sump Oil Pan.

I will be putting this Motor in Duster. Do I have to swap the Oil Pan to a center sump or will a Rear Sump work in an A Body?

You also need to get a center sump oil pump pickup. 65'

My friend runs a F/Stock Duster and did the change to a rear sump.
He had someone make/modify his centerlink to make it work.

I've seen race cars using a rear sump. Had to cut holes and weld in a tube for the center link to run through the pan.

Picture where a rear sump would go.

20190328_170648.jpg

My friend runs a F/Stock Duster and did the change to a rear sump.
He had someone make/modify his centerlink to make it work.

There are several racers using certain year 360 (& 318?) Magnum Dakota pans which have a smaller rear sump than a regular LA 360 truck pan. But they do usually require some type of mods.

So I talked to my neighbor and he has a 340. He bought a stock 360 Truck pan.
Cut them both up to make one had it tig welded together.
He told me the name of the guy that did the center link but I left it at the shop.
I'll see if I remember to bring it home and pass it on if you like.

Last edited:
Thanatos340, I re read you original post You will be fine changing to a car center sump like photos above.
Unless you car leaves the line on its rear bumper.Even at that a good baffled pan is fine.

the dakota rear sump, does fit, have to shim starter at top .060, elongate the idler arm holes to lower drag link down. about 1/2 inch. can find out in mopar race manual on how to do this, very simple. also, have to drop tie rod ends down to make geometry correct.. i machine front bolt holes on ball joint, .065, then that will lower tie rod ends down to correct height.

so to sum up :- a swap to a car centre sump and matching pickup is by far the easiest and most cost effective way to go, yes. :thumbsup:
neil.

Thanks for the responses all. I have a Kevko Xtra capacity Pan and Pickup on the way. Going to be putting a Brand new, Never had oil in it Milodon 8 qt Truck pan and pick up in the for sale section very soon if anyone needs one.

-
Back