Rear suspension choice.

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
Hey guys, with my new job I'm going to have some extra money to start getting this car ready for spring, my next project is going to be the rear suspension since the factory leaves are completely sagged. I have two options, caltracs with monoleaves, or superstock springs. I like the caltrac because they have the option of stock or 1" lower, and the superstock springs are effective, and fairly cheap. The car will be street/strip with a healthy 383, 727 with 4200 converter, 255/60 drag radial, and 3.91 gears"for now".

Cal-tracs and monos, you won't regret it. Plus your car won't be all jacked up in the rear and look fresh out of the 70.

Assuming you have caltracs, do you have the stock height or 1" lower?

Every one I know love the caltracs.ALL of my NHRA stock class Mopar buddys use them.

Here's 255/60-15s with SS springs. - Same car 2 different sets of wheels.

Attachments

• No ID.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 411
  • Other Wheels - 7.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 411
That looks good! And I notice every year more and more mopars at the track using the caltrack setup

caltracs on a 66 plymouth valiant

Attachments

• 12124365_724466644353557_1760294664_o.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 390
if it will be mainly for street use the super stock springs
i have heard that the caltracs make a lot of clatter on the street, but unsure how true it is. Also somewhere i read that the caltracs dont like lots of bumpy roads and have a high potential to break the spring.
i am no professional but i have ss springs on my dart for mainly street. I did look into the caltracs but never pulled the trigger as i would rather have slippage in the tire then a complete hard hook to break something.

Have a 10 second 500 cubic inch duster, 4500 stall converter with super stock springs and have been more than happy. Hooks hard and launches perfectly straight every time
Use a pinion snubber and have never broken anything.

out of curiousity, how do the caltracks handle on say tight turns?

They have no effect on how the car turns.

Im betting they do. Whether positively or negatively and to what extent is the question

If you're building a car for handling curves you are looking at the wrong suspension anyway. For the street/strip car, no problems. I've been driving mine for 12 or 13 years and haveen't noticed any ill effects.

If you're building a car for handling curves you are looking at the wrong suspension anyway. For the street/strip car, no problems. I've been driving mine for 12 or 13 years and haveen't noticed any ill effects.

Do tell.

and I'm sure I am, I'm just wanting to make sure I research all options.

-
Back