Rear Suspension Ride Height

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
I am in the process of upgrading the suspension on my Duster and was wondering if there is a measurement that I can take that will tell me how close my current ride height is to stock? I want to get a new set of leaf springs, but I do not want to change my current ride height. Is there a measurement between the axle and body that I can take to see how it compares to stock?

Also, any recommendation on leaf springs? I see ESPO and the XHD from Mancini tossed around a lot, is there any others? I'm local to Mancini, but I don't mind buying online.

72 Duster, 440, 727, 8 3/4", 1.03 Bars upfront, Bilstein RCD shocks, and currently SS springs out back. Want it to be a fun spirited on road driver that rides good enough to daily if I wanted to, no track time planned with it. I am planning on getting a front sway bar at some point too, just haven't decided on which one.

I am in the process of upgrading the suspension on my Duster and was wondering if there is a measurement that I can take that will tell me how close my current ride height is to stock? I want to get a new set of leaf springs, but I do not want to change my current ride height. Is there a measurement between the axle and body that I can take to see how it compares to stock?

Also, any recommendation on leaf springs? I see ESPO and the XHD from Mancini tossed around a lot, is there any others? I'm local to Mancini, but I don't mind buying online.

72 Duster, 440, 727, 8 3/4", 1.03 Bars upfront, Bilstein RCD shocks, and currently SS springs out back. Want it to be a fun spirited on road driver that rides good enough to daily if I wanted to, no track time planned with it. I am planning on getting a front sway bar at some point too, just haven't decided on which one.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=221060

graphic on post 2 may be of some help

Always had good experiences with espo. I recently put a set of eatons on the car. Real nice product.

The factory shop manual describes how to measure rear ride height. There's a rubber bumper attached to the body above the rear axle housing on each side. IIRC, you measure from the bracket that holds the rubber bumper to the nearest part of the axle housing. I believe the measurement varies by year and model, but I think on my '74 Dart it was supposed to be around 2 1/4". That's from memory and my memory ain't what it was.

Yeah, my memory failed me. The 1974 manual describes how to prepare the car (full tank of fuel, etc), then says:

Measure shortest distance from highest point on underside of rear axle bumper strap (at rear of bumper) to top of axle housing.

However, it doesn't give a specification other than the left and right should be within 3/4 inch of each other.

-
Back